Manitoba Fishing Forum - The Premier Fishing Forum Of Manitoba banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be going to the narrows to do an errand. The errand itself is very small so I have lots of fishing time.

Does anyone have experience with where the safe ice is? I understand that there are lots of current in open water. I will be taking my sled with me, hopefully will be able to catch a few perch or walleye.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
664 Posts
I will be going to the narrows to do an errand. The errand itself is very small so I have lots of fishing time.

Does anyone have experience with where the safe ice is? I understand that there are lots of current in open water. I will be taking my sled with me, hopefully will be able to catch a few perch or walleye.

Just came across that way from Swan River and this year just noticed that they are fishing only from the south side of the bridge. Looks like there are fishing on the edge of the current but could not be positive. Send me a pm with your number and I can roughly give you some coordinates.

·
Administrator
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I might as well let everyone know how it went.

So I went at this completely blind. I tried staying far south of the bridge and making sure that there were old sled tracks nearby so that I knew I was in safe areas.

Ice varies a lot, towards the middle of the channel was around 2' thick as opposed to 4' closer to shore. Most people were out on tracks though there were some trucks close to shore.

As for fishing, it was constant action... for tiny perch. Not once did I ever see no marks on the flasher. I had to upsize the lures in hopes that the perch that did hit would be eating size. Though I managed a decent burbot and sucker which were pretty strange catches. Not spectacular fishing but considering I had zero information to go on I wouldn't consider it a failure. I talked to some other people and they mostly achieved similar results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts