Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My kids are looking to try fishing. I've tried a couple spots, on the Assinaboine by the park, or the Forks. but we haven't had any luck. They still want to fish, but I can tell they are getting frustrated not catching anything. Is La Barriere park a good spot we can go? And what kind of bait should we be using. We've tried minnows, but no luck so far. getting tired of having lines snag on everything in the bottom of the river and loosing the whole set up weight and all. Any way to avoid this.

I'm used to lure or fishing just with a work and a bobber, but that doesn't really work with a strong current, please help me out so my kids learn to enjoy this sport.

·
Registered
177 Posts
La Barriere seems to be hit and miss. My kids did well with a bit of worm a few feet below a bobber. They caught a good number of small bullhead. I had a rig out with minnows and it attracted zero attention. We were just upriver from the bridge and when we went there was almost zero current so the bobber set up worked fine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi All,

My kids are looking to try fishing. I've tried a couple spots, on the Assinaboine by the park, or the Forks. but we haven't had any luck. They still want to fish, but I can tell they are getting frustrated not catching anything. Is La Barriere park a good spot we can go? And what kind of bait should we be using. We've tried minnows, but no luck so far. getting tired of having lines snag on everything in the bottom of the river and loosing the whole set up weight and all. Any way to avoid this.

I'm used to lure or fishing just with a work and a bobber, but that doesn't really work with a strong current, please help me out so my kids learn to enjoy this sport.
I buy the dollerama versions of the mepps spinning lure and use them at Labarrier. Always good for a few pike. Always had luck under the foot bridge. I've also caught rock bass with that same lure at that spot. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had really good luck catching pike and smaller walleye with a small mepps aglia. You might want to try moving upriver too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts