Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 7' MH extra fast taper shimano compre. Is the rod too light for sumo sized cats?

G

·
Should be ok. I have seen sumo kitties landed on light rods with 8lb test while trying to catch goldeye. I personally fish with a Berkly Glow Stick MH with a Abu C4. I have both the 7' and the 11.5' rods. I use the 7'r for on the boat and every day shore casting for cats. And my 11'r comes out when the water is low and I want to chuck my bait half way across the river into holes hard to get at from shore.

Just keep an eye on your rod while kitty fishing. They are starting to get pretty aggressive on my last outing a buddy of mine almost lost his rod and his folding chair. He went to use the little boys bush room, Had his rod jammed in his chair. Luckily I was sitting there to watch his rod and chair start bouncing down the river bank.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like I'll be going kitty chasing for the first time on sunday. We will be in a boat. Waiting for Andy to chime in with his rod opinion. I've also goat a round flueger baitcaster with 30 lb powerpro...........

G

·
Should be a good weekend for Kitty Hunting. I am taking a few people out Friday night. I will post a report so you know what you are getting into for Saturday.

Family took a drive out to the port a few days back cause kids wanted skinners. Water looks like it is slowing down and has dropped some more. I would not be surprised to see them start shutting the curtains in the next week or two.

I have not got to put a rod in for cats in over a week. Starting to get antsy almost broke down and headed out tonight but the foot is still sore a bit and decided just to give it a few more days of healing.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
LDB Bass Hunter said:
Sounds like I'll be going kitty chasing for the first time on sunday. We will be in a boat. Waiting for Andy to chime in with his rod opinion. I've also goat a round flueger baitcaster with 30 lb powerpro...........
Just go with what Sammy has to offer.Haved used all sorts of rod/reel combos over the years for Cats.Good choice would be a 7' MH or H with my fav reel an abu6500.You'll love the clicker feature once it goes off for the first time.Powerpro fanatic with the 50# being my usual line of choice.I actually will use the good old 8 1/2' Rhino rod with a baitcaster on a fair number of outings not just for cats.You're in good hands with Sam.If i was in town this weekend i might have invited myself to join you :lol:Might be an idea to hit the Superstore for a box or 2 of the Thai Gold Head on shrimp.Killer bait and i'm sure Sam would appreciate you bringing some.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked up a couple of bags of prawns tonight. Not thai gold though...

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
FROZEN ONES........I HOPE :eek: :eek: :shock: :shock: Headless Thai Gold works well too.Just watch out for the inferior Thai shrimp impersonations.Spend a little extra and get the real McCoys.Good Luck Sunday

1 - 8 of 8 Posts