Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello anglers. ...
Wandering what your go to set ups are for jumbo perch. ..
I am sure there are a lot out there...
Now around hear if I am targeting jumbos then iam using a vengala spoon with a drop...and choice of bait is a super worm or spruce worm...and sometimes perch eye-ball...
What works for you. ?

Thanks in advance. ..

·
Registered
38 Posts
When the bite is finicky in fairly clear water I find a plain white 1/4 oz jig with half shiner (head portion) consistently works as well as or better than anything else for perch (and walleye). However it also helps to change-up the lure and presentation frequently. In my experience active jigging at least one of my two lines almost always out-produces dead-sticking alone whether using frozen or live minnows. Often works good to alternate one lure on the bottom and the other about 1 to 2 feet off bottom ... sometimes have to 'trick' those fish to get them to bite! Once I catch a perch then I tip a Northland Tackle 'Hexi Fly' with a fresh perch eye on one line ... it's quite a tiny lure but I've landed plenty of perch and walleye of all sizes with that as well.

When the bite is aggressive then almost any lure/bait combination works!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Every time out we are hitting 10" to 14.5" perch with a live target or rapala jiggin rap don't be shy to use the larger ones I get more hits on those than the small ones.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and a spruce worm looks is like a giant maggot on the juice. and can be 1 inch and as fat as a pencil...they are found in white spruce...the real knotty spruce and sappy ...i cut them in 8 ft lengths and let them dry during the summer the big flying bug drills holes in the tree for the sap...then goes threw the cycle of life and goes to a maggot stage for the winter....then i cut a piece of the log 1 ft and split it and it will have a dozen ish of these giant maggots...

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Go small IMO too many people use lures/baits that are too big. Great whemn perch are slamming but more times than not they are finnicky as can be. Just have to watch them on a cam. Bigger lures will toll them in tough

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have been having really good luck with my double hook setup for perch. Its basically a 1/8 white glow jig I put a half minnow on, then tied on 12 inches of clear mono (just cheap line but its thick, maybe 30lb), I slide on a small trout bait hook on the mono line holding it about half way ~6 inches from the jig, then I loop the line back through the trout hook eye again, then tie the end of the line onto either my tipup line or on my fishing rod line. I put a minnow head on the trout hook. I have done the same with a large jig and full minnow on bottom. Since the upper hook is directly on the line you feel the bite right away and is tangle free to jig. Very often a walleye or perch will come in and see the larger minnow on bottom but since they see up, see the little head above them easily and hammer it. Have caught some big pike on the upper hook too. If fishing deeper water you could easily put 24 inch of mono and tie on a trout hook further up to cover more water column.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I like jigging spoons with a small treble on a drop. Northland buckshot, and Hopkins spoons are my favorite. Silver and orange seem to be the colours I always go back to. I use minnow part for bait. IF bite is finicky I stick with this also. I find with the drop hook a subtle shake of your top tip causes it to dance under the spoon and entice the bite. Even with perch, I use 2 feet of flourocarbon leader to avoid pike taking my spoon.

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
Anyone ever use the eye of a Perch.. I just seen a video the guy pops the eye of a dead perch and and uses it for perch Bait ???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts