Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on trying for some catfish this weekend and I was hoping for some insight from some of the more seasoned catfisherguys and gals on this forum.

Is the cat bite still on?

Time to crack out the Tulibee or can I still catch Goldeye?

Shrimp?

How are the water levels? Have not been on the Red since early September.

Thanks!

G

·
Cat fish bite is still OK right now. But not so much at night unless you can get into deep holes. Sunny mid day is when the Cats are out to play this time of year. And put the Goldeye away it won't do much for you right now. Tulibee, Frogs, and Of Course Shrimp are the what you should be packing out to the river.

Good Luck and post some pics.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good to hear. I've got some days off coming up and hoping to hit the riverbank and if I can figure out my boat hopefully get that on the water. I'll let you guys know how I make out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Do you guys think these summer like days we have coming up is going to help? I went out the last weekend in September last year and had some pretty good luck so I'm hoping for more of the same over the next little while.

Either way I've got some bait to use up and sitting on the riverbank waiting for the fish to bite is still better than the yard work I should probably be doing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well I'd like to say I can post results. But only a couple on shore this afternoon. Lost a couple during the fight but all in all a pretty quiet afternoon. Started just north of the locks but after losing 3 sets of gear in a half hour I'd had enough. Hadn't had snags like that in a long time. Fished there about 3 weeks ago and didn't lose any gear at all.

Moved to a spot that I haven't been skunked at yet and landed my first one within 15 minutes.

Not giving up hope yet though. Had a couple guys in a boat not far from me and they were keeping pretty busy most of the afternoon. I watched them hit a few double headers too. So I'll reload on some bait and work on some more cat rigs this weekend and head out and give it another shot.

G

·
Yeah the reports are that the kittie action is pretty steady during the day right now. A buddy of mine was out today and between 3 of them landed 28 kitties in just a few hours.

Boltsfan - You where spoiled by high water this year and the snag count was pretty low. Now that the river is getting closer to normal levels. Well welcome to lockport buddy.

Good luck to all of you and keep the reports coming in.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was using tulibee and shrimp. Thats what I've used the last couple times I've been out. I've been getting hits on both so I wouldn't say one has been outproducing the other.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Harpz said:
I'm hitting up some kitties tomorrow... I'll post my results
Popped my catfish cherry!!! I caught my first cat ever!!! I'm hooked!!! 26lbs/34"... Caught it on the east shore at Lockport at 4:30pm using a catfish rig & goldeye :mrgreen: (pic to follow)

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
While angling for walleyes at Sugar Island, a boat near us caught 2 cats. They appeared to be targeting cats.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
G

·
Went out yesterday evening for a solo trip. Have to say the Cat fishing right now seems to be the hottest it has been all year. In 3 hours I landed 18 in total. Only 3 masters of the group. But still an awesome time. And sorry guys no pics. Hard to take pictures when your by your self.

Moral of the story. If you where hunting cats all year and lucked out. Get your buts out there. We have a weird opportunity this year where you can make an entire day of Greenbacks and Cats at the same time in a single trip. Take advantage of it people.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just shaking my head... I went out during daylight hours yesterday and the fishing was TERRIBLE. Super light bites and barely any takers. The fish that were caught were 28 inches tops. Caught 2 in total and a NASTY sunburn on my face. Goldeye, shrimp and tulibee were all used.

Nvisible, congrats on the haul. Guess the morning/early afternoon was not my time...

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I am hopefully doing my annual and much delayed trip out to the Portage Spillway Wednesday in search of a few late season Kitties.Fingers crossed that it happens with the ongoing bathroom remodel keeping me home and "supervising" the reconstruction all last week while on holidays and no chance to get out of town.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well, it was a complete bust for me today. Only had one hit that almost ripped the rod out of my hand but didn't materialize into anything. Tried 3 different spots, deep shallow and everything in between. Used shrimp and tulibee for bait. On the upside, the snags weren't bad at all. Only ended up losing 1 set of gear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts