Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just recently got a K2 explorer Inflatable Kayak as a gift. Now I plan to try and use this on a camping trip sometime in the next month or two but my father has told me I should practice using it on the red river first but i'm a little hesitant. Would this be safe to use on the red or would the red be too strong or have to much debris to safely use it? I've linked the kayak below for reference

https://www.amazon.ca/Intex-Explorer-2-Person-Inflatable-Aluminum/dp/B00A7EXF4C

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
So I just recently got a K2 explorer Inflatable Kayak as a gift. Now I plan to try and use this on a camping trip sometime in the next month or two but my father has told me I should practice using it on the red river first but i'm a little hesitant. Would this be safe to use on the red or would the red be too strong or have to much debris to safely use it? I've linked the kayak below for reference

https://www.amazon.ca/Intex-Explorer-2-Person-Inflatable-Aluminum

/dp/B00A7EXF4C

If you wana try it out why don't you try a small pond like Kilcona park until you get comfortable with. No current or debris to worry about.. IMO

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would not suggest the Red river for your first trip out due to the current and it being a river I would not wish to swim in if you flip the kayak. I would suggest a smaller body of water that you wouldn't mind swimming in. Start out shallow, and actually try flipping it and getting back in, then you will be prepared if it happens to you out in the water. Once you put some time on the water and are feeling comfortable, then consider trying a river with current. Remember when you get out on rivers with current it is always best to never paddle alone in case you run into troubles. Another nice river to try is the LaSalle river, easy access from La Barrier park. Good luck out there, have fun with the kayak and stay safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bring any fishing gear out to the Lasalle?
Also have an inflatable (Advanced Anglers) and l'm looking for quick spots around Winnipeg to go out and practice my fly casting while sitting in a kayak.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,I myself have a Challenger II by the same company Intex and use it on the Red as well as the Seine and Assiniboine rivers.I love it,it's more stable than I would have thought,quite comfortable and safe.I may not take it on the Red in heavy current spring thaw but other than that it is very safe,and keep in mind I am pulling in master cats at the St. Norbert floodway.Being an inflatable you do have to be aware of catfish spikes and sharp rocks and the like but two years after purchase I think they are awesome and for the price amazing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Challenger 2 same brand (Intex) and take it on the Red,Assiniboine,La Sale and Seine. With the Red and Assiniboine it's common sense,when the water is high and fast with debris in the spring you want to avoid it. In normal conditions the kayak is nice and stable,safe and really enjoyable. I even go set up at the center piller at the St. Norbert Floodway and catch huge cats on big bobbers,good times.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guess I should update this. I have taken it on the red once or twice for a quick paddle and took it up to Big Whiteshell Lake last year. No luck on fish but it works great and looking forward to many more trips with it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts