Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of Great stuff happening this year on MFF. Lee Nolden is going to be putting up reports on Manitoba Fishing forum throughout the season under his own button "Lee on the Lake" and in case you have not seen it yet, there is a live feed from lake Winnipeg Ice Fishing's facebook page right to lee's button for up to date "On Ice" Reports. Take a look there will be more to come...

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
I like how everyone shuts up when first ice hits... Nobody shares any info as to where the safe ice is

·
Registered
327 Posts
What's the address for the Lake Winnipeg Ice Fishing facebook page? I have found Ice Fishing - Manitoba on facebook but I don't think that's the one you are referring to as there is no link button for Lee.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Harpz said:
I like how everyone shuts up when first ice hits... Nobody shares any info as to where the safe ice is

I think what you have to understand is that the ice is NEVER safe even at the best of times which is why no one is posting. Most of the guys heading out are going out with spuds bars, floater suits and treading carefully. Plus many guys like to be left to fish alone. The ice is going be similar where ever you go with similar conditions. Fish the same areas you fish in fall but be careful and don't go out far, and please make sure you are checking as you go with a spud bar. If you need to be told where the ice is safe, you are probably not properly equip to be going out on early ice I would probably suggest waiting a while until the entire river is safe for travel...If you do go please be safe. we will be trying out the FPB on Friday afternoon. There are a number of other popular local access points to try out as well good luck

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More News Guys!

I am happy to say A good buddy of mine and renowned walleye angler, our very own Roger Stearns will have his own button on MFF where he will be posting reports and discussing fishing tactics and techniques throughout the year!

Things are really getting exciting!!!

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
BWC no worries, I will not venture onto the ice until I hear it's 5-6" thick. You are absolutely correct, I am not equipped to tackle thin ice so I would never attempt it. I'm just more curious as to the location & thickness of the ice... I do have the itch but I'll wait until its "safe" to scratch

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hit the float plane base late morning with a few buddies . The Ice ice 5-6 inches thick within 60-80 yards of shore didn't go out farther. Ty Had a Huge Pike on a tip-up but it broke off due to my lack of maintenance :oops: Been to busy to really get stuff ready for Ice and should have had new quick strike rigs on. Lesson Re-learned....make sure you check your gear and have new rigs from season to season...sorry Ty that was probably a Manitoba record you lost there..... :shock: :lol:

Met up with our very own Manitoba Ice Fishing Fishing celebrity, Mike on Ice. They got a few.

We only had a few bites and I got bit off by another decent Pike on a jig in the 2 hours we fished. A number of guys were catching a couple in 20-22 and one guy nailed 2 Masters back to back in 15 feet. A 28 incher and a 29 with a huge Gut. Pretty good 2 fish day!

got to spend a day and get ready for Ice!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts