Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at new ice suits for my wife and oldest daughter - wondering what company has the warmest ice suit? We spend quite a bit of time sledding, ice fishing and winter camping so it's going to see some use. Want to make sure the girls stay warm!

Currently leaning towards the Striker Hardwater as this is what I use and I've never been cold with it buttoned up. Other options would be the FXR Excursion / Expedition or Eskimo suits. The FXR is pretty pricey and not sure that it's much warmer or better than the Striker. The challenge is each company has a brands of insulation which claim various performance levels as well as some count the float as insulation and some do not.

Curious to know what has worked the best for folks out there over the years - especially for the wives.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I’d venture to guess you’re staying warm cause you’re setting up and drilling the holes. Basically doing all the work. That’s my experience anyways. My wife has a good snowmobile suit and Sorels for the feet. I make sure tent gets setup first and heater is going. I’ll never hear the end of it if she gets cold lol. All kidding aside, just keep their hands and feet warm and dry and they’ll usually be warm.

Summer rig: 2009 Crestliner 1700 FishHawk, Merc 90 4S, Humminbird 788Ci, 570, MinnKota Power Drive V2, 24v, AP, CP, US2.

·
Administrator
803 Posts
I have the Striker Hardwater suit as well and love it. As nice as it is, it does limit my mobility a bit when trying to bend down to grab something etc. That may be a bit of an issue to think about.

This is how I feel in my Striker Hardwater suit..
Snow Glove Sleeve Parka Gesture

(But damn am I warm)

I would may go with something a little thinner (for mobility) for the ladies, but splurge on base layers. Buy good quality, form fitted base layers (not loose) and they will be toasty.

I agree with 660catman that a good pair of boots is a life saver. Its always the first thing that gets cold for my wife, and the days over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts