Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

Ice fishing rods?

3K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Dream-Finder 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, i'm looking at getting acouple new ice fishing rods this season. I was wondering if i could get some good suggestions on rod choice. I've been using some lower priced rods for the past few seasons and i am looking to upgrade alittle this year. Looking for a rod for fishing walleye on the red and lake winnipeg. Something that will work good for rippin' lipless baits. Thanks.

#28 ·
28" stcroix ultralights paired with tica Cetus 500 reels for crappies.
32" and 34" heavy st croix with shimano symetres for lakers.
Variety of 24-32" medium light and medium rods from stcroix and fenwick for everything else.

As you can tell I'm pretty happy with the stcroix lineup, especially at their price point. Thinking about picking up a pair of Thorne bros walleye rods next season though.

#33 ·
Auggie264 said:
Last year was my first time up there. I brought my old school Genz Lightning rods that were medium heavy 28inch or so rods. They worked pretty good. I'm bringing them up again, but I made two rods a few weeks ago. Here is one of them! gallery/image_page.php?album_id=54&image_id=645
I love my Dave Genz lightning rod! Picked up a 36"St croix the other day! Nice rod!

#34 ·
Followed the advice from some MA members last year and bought into the St.Croix Premier product.
4-28" Mediums
1-32" Medium
1-36" Medium

Pair with a few Pflueger Trion 4520GX or 4725GX

Use the 4520GX on the 28" rods, and the 4725GX size on the 32" and 36" rod.
These combinations provide a nice balance and feel.
See the guys at ProAm.

For some stupid reason ... a couple of rods purchased at Cabelas didn't have enough epoxy where the guides met the blank and they were very loose (could spin them right around).
Never ran into the same problem with the inventory bought at ProAm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.