Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i'm looking at getting acouple new ice fishing rods this season. I was wondering if i could get some good suggestions on rod choice. I've been using some lower priced rods for the past few seasons and i am looking to upgrade alittle this year. Looking for a rod for fishing walleye on the red and lake winnipeg. Something that will work good for rippin' lipless baits. Thanks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry, i guess i should have posted this in the "winter time rigs" section. :oops:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I really like the Quauntum lines of ice rods and reels. Great feel, very tough and good backbone for ripping those targets around

G

·
I agree with KFD-18 there is a pro staff member here from Quantum that has kind of got me hooked on their gear.

Fish_Killer said:
sorry, i guess i should have posted this in the "winter time rigs" section. :oops:
I moved it for you no worries..
:gone:

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Quantum has a great new series of Ice rods called Kinetic that came out last year. They come in lengths from 36 to 42 inches, in medium light, medium, and now new for this year medium heavy. I used the 36 inch mediums all last year and was very impressed with them as a jigging rod and dead sticking rod. They really load up really nice, especially on big fish. Last year I landed the majority of my Big fish with my medium kinetics.

Last year I had requested some heavier action rods for lip-less cranks and was told they will have a medium heavy Kinetic in the Lineup this year. I already have received mine and am looking forward to trying them out. Also just heard from Brent at the Fishin Hole that they will indeed be carrying Quantum's Line of Kinetic Ice rods this winter. They will retail around the $45 dollar mark if I remember correctly.

I also noticed my favorite Ice Fishing reel at the Fishin Hole as well. The size 5 Kinetic PT spinning reel is a perfect size and balance for Ice Fishin if you are looking for a High Quality ice reel. It has Quantum's Ti-mag Titanium wire bail and magnetic trip that can be accidentally bent and stepped on and still bounce back in perfect shape. As well has their custom PT bearing system. I used this combo all last year with no complaints and then switched up the reels to open water and they are still like new.

Be sure to Say Hi to the Gang at the Fish in Hole and check out these items from Quantum. You won't be disappointed.

Below is one of my Kinetic Combos in action

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
big bruther said:
What's available in a baitcaster?Would like to grab a 36" minimum or even a little longer!
Andy, go check out the frabill 38'' heavy ice rods at Cabela's. These rods have lots of back bone with a nice tip. Unfortunately they are for spinning reels.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
LDB Bass Hunter said:
[quote="big bruther":1eacshxr]What's available in a baitcaster?Would like to grab a 36" minimum or even a little longer!
Andy, go check out the frabill 38'' heavy ice rods at Cabela's. These rods have lots of back bone with a nice tip. Unfortunately they are for spinning reels.[/quote:1eacshxr]Thanks Matt but i really want a baitcast rod or two

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
I got a few St.Croix last year in 32", med action and love them so much I bought another and might even get another one yet, got them set up with Shimano Sienna 500 reels with 8 lb power pro ice

·
Registered
122 Posts
I use Quantum ice rods, I really like them. One is an UL action with quantum optix 10 reel and the other is a M action with quantum optix 30 reel both are awesome.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I picked up a couple of the new fenwicks......and man are they nice. Shimano sienna's and sedona's are my ice reel of choice.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
LDB Bass Hunter said:
I picked up a couple of the new fenwicks......and man are they nice. Shimano sienna's and sedona's are my ice reel of choice.
I like the new Fenwicks also but will buy one when they come out with a 32"

Reactions: walleyeguy666

·
Registered
493 Posts
rayf said:
http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=26

custom order what u want
x2 I have two thornebros rods and two more on the way. Just love them best rods I've ever owned and I've got alot of them over the years

·
Registered
70 Posts
Rock'n the 42'' Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rod matched with a Okuma Highspeed 30s Trio spooled with 8lb Sufix 832 ice braid does the trick with Medium Live targets on the lake .. perfect Run N Gun Combo .. Thorne Bros all the way

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
what does a Thorne Bros rod go for??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts