Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to test out my Costco raft and electric trolling motor in Hunt Lake this weekend - my first trip there in well over twenty years. I have fond memories fishing there off the dock And in a dinghy as a child - now 41 years old I’ll be taking my 6 year old daughter there Saturday to test my raft and my luck. My dad is convinced we used to cast a lindy rig with a weight and slow retrieve - my brother recalls jigging….I have no idea what to do for bait or depth so anything that results in getting a few fish and keeping my daughter entertained is appreciated - I’ll try and update my post with pictures of results Saturday night.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have limited experience with Hunt lake itself but summer temps will have the trout bite slow.

Small spoons and mepps spinners if you're trolling. Worm or dough under a bobber about halfway down the water column has done me well for still fishing.

Trout like to feed upwards so even though they'll likely be in the deeper water you can keep your bait in the top half. I'd probably look for steep breaks off deeper basin water, but the reality is that I wouldn't have high expectations targetting trout until mid/late September.

That said, a day on the water with the kiddo is gonna be sweet whether you catch or not. Especially because hunt lake is so pretty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have limited experience with Hunt lake itself but summer temps will have the trout bite slow.

Small spoons and mepps spinners if you're trolling. Worm or dough under a bobber about halfway down the water column has done me well for still fishing.

Trout like to feed upwards so even though they'll likely be in the deeper water you can keep your bait in the top half. I'd probably look for steep breaks off deeper basin water, but the reality is that I wouldn't have high expectations targetting trout until mid/late September.

That said, a day on the water with the kiddo is gonna be sweet whether you catch or not. Especially because hunt lake is so pretty.
it was a mini vibrax spinner on my little ultra light that got the one and only trout bite - my daughter was working the rod and reel while I was farting around with pickerel rigs for my wife and I. I honestly thought she was snagged on a weed or my trolling motor so it was a bit shocking to see a small trout coming In towards the boat. This was her first bite casting in assisted so it was honestly pretty special! I grabbed the line and attempted to string arm it into our raft when the fish was boatside and the bloody thing flipped off the line while mid air over the raft - I didn’t have our net ready so shame on me for killing our only picture opportunity with a pretty little fish by not being more delicate with it.

we were on the water for about 4 hours, and that was the only trout - one mini perch also hit my daughters line and she caught one more off the Dock. Lots of kids entertained on the little dock with perch and bull head.

I’ll have to give this another go in September ….

·
Registered
996 Posts
Did good just down the road on friday. Lots of action no size. Caught on everything Spoons, spinners. Trolling / casting.

Reactions: Daysoff
1 - 4 of 4 Posts