Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day on the river. Made it out to breeze point today and it was a wonderful day. No wind didn’t need a heater and everybody caught a fish in our group. It was a slow bite for us the ticket lure was a spoon. Not a lot of current we didn’t need a hole drilled for the ducer. Lots of marks a bit of a tough bite. The only walleye of the day was suspended 12’ off the bottom, was a football sized 23” Walter. We fished from 17-27’ of water with a solid clear 8” of ice. Overall it was a wonderful beautiful day on the ice.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
One walleye, lots of saugers and gold goldeyes. Always caught lots of saugers on the river but this year goldeyes are giving them a run for their money. Ironic thing is that I had trouble catching them in the summer so kept a couple for future cat bait.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
The red and I don't get along threw the ice lol I managed a bunch of saugers and 3 greenbacks biggest eye being around 20 inches still trying to get my master threw the ice on the red

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was there tonight, the gold eye bite was pretty gnarly was fun catching them With the flasher, tons of sauger, I couldn’t catch a walleye but the lady next to me pulled out a master angler just as prime time hit.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went out this morning in the Wicked cold. Fished the end of main. We needed 2 double sunflowers to keep us nice and toasty warm. Man it was worth it. We were in 26’ of water under the ice and the fish were going nuts. Fished from 8-11:30 and must of got 70-80 fish. Between the 3 of us we could not keep 6 lines in the water. It was constant action. Sauger mostly with a mix of walleye (biggest was 20”) and goldeye. Flashers we’re constantly marking large numbers of bait fish all morning. The ice was piping and cracking like crazy. Overall I did not regret the decision this morning

·
Registered
222 Posts
All I can say is WOW…good for you! I took the garbage to the curb at 8 this morning and that was enough outdoors for me!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Went out this morning in the Wicked cold. Fished the end of main. We needed 2 double sunflowers to keep us nice and toasty warm. Man it was worth it. We were in 26’ of water under the ice and the fish were going nuts. Fished from 8-11:30 and must of got 70-80 fish. Between the 3 of us we could not keep 6 lines in the water. It was constant action. Sauger mostly with a mix of walleye (biggest was 20”) and goldeye. Flashers we’re constantly marking large numbers of bait fish all morning. The ice was piping and cracking like crazy. Overall I did not regret the decision this morning
a few guys i know with shacks on the river have been telling me they have been targeting the goleyes a couple feet below the hole. There’s some smoking going on lol

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
We have been consistently marking fish top of column just under the ice and 9 out of 10 times up comes a Goldeye, Had some Mooneyes as well.

Reactions: GordF

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya never know about the goldeye mooneye thing. Herd the same thing about crappie in the red but turns out they are they’re.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Reactions: abousetta

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
That website seems to talk about the Red River in the US (Fargo, North Dakota – Moorhead, Minnesota region) though I've never heard of muskies being caught anywhere in the Red. Who knows, maybe they have some south of the border in the Red. Also, we have yellow perch but it doesn't seem to be on their list under the perch family.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If there are mooneye in the Assiniboine and it is connected to the red river, I think you could say there are possibly mooneye in the red.
I think it’s possible, but leads me to ask the question what keeps the mooneye stacked in the Assiniboine and the gold eye stacked in the red river ?

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
If there are mooneye in the Assiniboine and it is connected to the red river, I think you could say there are possibly mooneye in the red.
I think it’s possible, but leads me to ask the question what keeps the mooneye stacked in the Assiniboine and the gold eye stacked in the red river ?
I'd post that question in the 'ask a biologist' section. Not sure what the answer would be.

Are they being caught in numbers to the East of Brandon or west? It may be a territorial thing as I don't know what their migratory pattern is like.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was told there were Mooneyes but maybe I am mistaken. This link indicated they exists on the red but they also indicate Musky as well so I'm hesitant to take it as gospel.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjdstSq2KT1AhXGCTQIHWTxCIEQFnoECBwQAQ&url=http://www.riverkeepers.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/fish_species_fact_sheet.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2n8WQ_PB2V566eXQcdVF9C
"Drum family - SciaenidaeFreshwater Drum(sheepshead, grunter) •Length: 6-48”
Freshwater Drum up to 48"?
How much would that weigh?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts