Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the navionics app on my phone with the sonar charts and I also have the navionics chip for my humminbird. My chip is about 2 years old and I think I got it before sonar charts came out. Since I am out of my one year free update period, is there any way of getting sonarcharts on my chip? Or do I have to pay the $99 for navionics +?

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
I moved your thread in here. Guys a lot more knowledgable with hummingbird than myself should be able to help you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had upgraded whatever navionics chip I had to the plus just recently for the $99. It shows all the sonarcharts and can upgrade for a year now. Note when upgrading you have to select what model Humminbird or other finder you have. I wouldn't touch LBD close to the dam before, but not an issue anymore.

I don't know anything about the app (as far as using it when you are moving, has death or dismemberment potential I would think), but if you have a newer Humminbird then you are picking up a lot more satellites and seems to be pretty dead on for me. Only thing you have to do is change what chart you are using in the menu - I can't recall what one but not hard to figure out.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I would like to be able to update my chip also but I'm not the smartest when it comes to this kind of stuff so I stay away from it because I don't want to screw up what I have already.

Is there a site for dummies like myself to learn about this stuff?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would like to be able to update my chip also but I'm not the smartest when it comes to this kind of stuff so I stay away from it because I don't want to screw up what I have already.

Is there a site for dummies like myself to learn about this stuff?
http://www.navionics.com/en/navionics-plus

Of course you have to have a card reader for your computer, a good internet connection. It will ask what area you want to update (with community edits), so depending on your card size you can only update so much data. With the year subscription, you can then delete and add areas as you want. Any area in North America, but even other parts of world I think.

I note that the Lowrance guys are talking about Insight (and Humminbird has autochart), but anyone can upload chart data to the Nav sight and then it will get updated to the community edits that anyone can use.

As far as screwing up, once the site recognizes you have a legit card and you have paid a subscription, you are probably good to go as far as getting Navionics to make right should something go awry I would think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First thing to do is to go to the compatibility chart to see if your unit can run sonar charts or what chip can run in your unit.
http://www.navionics.com/sites/default/files/documents/americas_compatibilityguide_0.pdf

If you have an existing Hotmap Premium or Gold get the Navionics Updates card for 99.00. Updates card will allow you to upgrade or convert your Premium or Gold to Navionic + after you follow the registration process.

If you have Hotmaps Platinum just plug your card in, log into Navionics create an account and buy and download the update online.

The other option is to buy Navionics + for 199.00, the newest version comes preloaded with Nautical Charts and you download the High Def SonarCharts for the areas that you fish.

Nav + and Updates are not region specific like Hotmaps. Nav+, Updates and Platinum all have the high def sonar chart layer, Premium doesnt.

To compare SonarChart layer to Nautical Chart layer go to the Navionics website click on the webapp, after you zoom in click on the sonar icon on the lower left to toggle between the 2 layers.
http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#@6&key=cpjsGndpvP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts