Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this is only my second year going for Cats I was hoping one of the more seasoned anglers could help me out on this one.

Just wondering how much longer before the catfishing starts to slow down. I went out last year the first part of September and had the best days of the year. Ended up going out the first part of October and nothing. Not sure if it was just too late of if I was just in the wrong spot. Since the flood pushed things back so much it would be nice to fish for a while yet.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

G

·
Late fall cat fishing is a bit more tricky. Cats are still there but their diet changes which makes them a bit more allusive if you are not aware of the diet change. Now this year could be a bit different with how the years weather and water conditions have effected habitat. They also seem to slow down at night and most of the best fall fishing cats have been mid day or early morning. Again this could be effected this year. There has been discussed theory that our big cats head north during the fall as well. There is no fact to this theory just speculation as you will see people fishing farther north up river start reporting decent numbers. Like past the #4 all the way up into EOM. Some guys I know that fish the south part of the lake report big cat numbers heading into the winter months as well.

Shoot me a PM if you are not sure of Diet Change for fall months I can help steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Actualy the big cats dig deep in there mud holes as the current slowes and the water temps drop.
The big cats can be caught closer to shore, deep mud holes , on a slow presentation until freeze up.
After freeze up they almost go dormait for the winter till spring currents and then all hell breaks loose.
Lived on the river for over 15 years and fished it for over 20 years.
This time of year is the start of trophey walleye. LOTW is the hot spot now ,Pine falls is comming soon. And other "fish on" spots will appear in the next few weeks!!!!
:gone:
THE cat bite will be good for a couple more weeks until water temps drop and the it comes to stop.
We still have room for more guest bookings for either cats or walleyes send me a pm!!! :gone:

G

·
MasterAnglerAdventur said:
Actualy the big cats dig deep in there mud holes as the current slowes and the water temps drop.
And there is the other half of the friendly debate. Most everything there is to read about cat fish state that almost exact phrase. And amungst some of my buddies this is like a religious debate.

It is common knowledge the cats dig down and almost hibernate for the winter but do they stay in river or head north towards the lake.

Unfortunately we may never actually know there is very little to almost no research done on cats and how they behave in our climates. Most of North America considers the catfish a trash fish. And Manitoba did not always regard the cat fish as a trophy species.

With most species you can go out and catch a fish by knowing baits to use based on Water conditions, weather conditions, time of day, time of year etc. Cat fish this just does not work you can harvest them today and use the same techniques tomorrow and go home empty handed. I have personally seen this happen in just a few hours. Shrimp is killing it for 1-2 hours and then boom it just shuts off and they want gold eye with no underlying reason. I think catfish are alot smarter then most people give them credit for.

I much like MasterAnglerAdvetur am a born river rat. I fish cats up until the end of October. It does slow down a bit once those first cold days start rolling in but I have found a few things over the years that seem to work. Once the Ice hits the water hang up the cat rods it's over.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have a great fishery in the Red River and the World Famous Monster Cat Fish.
The mysteries is a reason why these fish get so big in our water ways.
Get out now and Hook a trophy fish , it is the best fight of your life from shore or from a boat .
My best bait whole shell, heads on shrimp rotting in the sun for a day or 2.Frozen and ready to use on your next Catfish adventure!
Another tip one of the other guides gave was short leads from your bait to the weight in big current which is correct .
NOW with the current slowing and water temps dropping lengthen your leads from weight to hook to at least 2 feet,let the bait move around more and increase your strike zone! :snag:
"FISH ON"

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Interesting read. There is no dought the cats move north in late fall regardless which theory you are leaning towards. There is also no dought that some cats stay in the deep holes in the northern part of the river and others move out to the lake. I know many anglers that have caught incidental cats ice fishing during warm spells on both the river and the lake. It is always great BSing with other serious catters like nvisible and especially Stu at cats on the Red as he is a wealth of knowledge with his 30 years experience on the Red River. I love talking cats with him. He's got some great stories and experiences and combined with my own 20+ years experience seriously targeting channel catfish I gain insight into the fall migration puzzle of our northern channel cats.

As far as bait there is no such thing as the best regardless of what anyone tells you. Shrimp works, even great at times but it is it's easy of acquisition from the local grocery store that gives it it's popularity. Every year there are a few days where shimp is HOT! and it is the only bait to use but 90% of the time natural seasonal selections far outproduce shrimp. I put in a ton of time catching a variety my own bait throughout the seasons from ice out right up untill late fall and always have at least 3 bait choices in the boat at anytime. I know there are a few guides who guide with shrimp only period, for one reason or another and IMO it is a piss poor attitude especially when you have paying guests in the boat. The guests may not know better but why have them catch 6-8 fish when they could catch 20 - 30. That is often the difference.

The Cat bite will be great with the right baits up untill the water really starts to cool off. A couple of weeks I think. It will be interesting to see how the greenback run will be and where. There is ZERO! current at Pine Falls right now. It will be neat to see what happens because of this. Good luck guys.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a lot more info than I bargained for. I would have been happy with "should be good for a couple weeks". I figured that with it cooling down at night that morning or mid day fishing might be better. That was when I had my best days last year.

Some good reading and great information. Thanks a bunch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts