Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve done a bit of reading on the forum - sounds like I should make my way over near “Party” island - honestly hoping to catch any thing that will keep the rods busy. I’ll likely have my musky rod armed with a cat rig and worm/minnow ball for sturgeon - hoping for suggestions for my wife and daughter’s rod to keep them busy - pickerel rig get with worms/minnows? Is it worth hitting the mouth of the white shell river?

we’ll be in my inflatable Costco raft with a small minnkota trolling motor…I’ll post pictures of anything we catch!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
So I’ve done a bit of reading on the forum - sounds like I should make my way over near “Party” island - honestly hoping to catch any thing that will keep the rods busy. I’ll likely have my musky rod armed with a cat rig and worm/minnow ball for sturgeon - hoping for suggestions for my wife and daughter’s rod to keep them busy - pickerel rig get with worms/minnows? Is it worth hitting the mouth of the white shell river?

we’ll be in my inflatable Costco raft with a small minnkota trolling motor…I’ll post pictures of anything we catch!
Is this a joke?
Sturgeon are under Conservation closure in the Winnipeg River 😕
2 adults and a kid in a small inflatable 😐

·
Registered
540 Posts

Just don't do this!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this a joke?
Sturgeon are under Conservation closure in the Winnipeg River 😕
2 adults and a kid in a small inflatable 😐
Not a joke - I’m all for conservation so no worries on that front - I will not be using big equipment or targeting sturgeon. I have a small inflatable raft per my original post if anglers with experience on this water deem that an unsafe venture I can leave it at home …. Was just hoping to put it to use and get off the shoreline - looking for constructive feedback and guidance so your comment is appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"looking for constructive feedback and guidance"

Sturgeon closed, high water level and strong current flow will swallow that Minn Kota and Costco raft.....please don't become statistics!
Understood - I’ll check with the folks in the on shore forum for suggestions - my raft can stay home unless someone has a suggestion on a nearby body of water (pros of Nutimik) a small inflatable vessel can easily manage.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Betula Lake may be an option. It’s been quite a while since I have been there but there used to be 3 public places you could your inflatable in: by the store, the beach on the southeast side and the road around to the north side of the lake.

·
Registered
373 Posts
1) read the manitoba fishing regs
2) take a boating course
3) enjoy your weekend

with a small inflatable and electric I would target smaller water bodies overlooked by the big boat crowd. I’ll keep specifics to myself but SEARCH function on the Fourm is your friend

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would agree with Betula lake. Just watch the north end of the lake where it enters into the river towards Pine Point, there are some rocks and rapids there.
White lake would also be a possibility, just stay away from Rainbow Falls area.
I have also launched a canoe onto Jessica lake where the road crosses the river from Jessica lake to White lake. You can fish the river up stream into Jessica lake and have caught perch, pike and walleye there.
Have fun and stay safe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Water Cloud Sky Water resources Lake

Currently at Nutimik water is calm and reasonably safe for small water crafts near the boat launch and within the whiteshell river - campers said that yesterday the waves and wind were a completely different story. Sturgeon falls is a clear and present danger… I’ll bring my tiny vessel next time if weather allows it!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
I have seen experienced kayakers play in Sturgeon Falls. Do what you want but don’t endanger others with your rescue. A few experienced anglers gave you great advice and you throw this post in their face👎 Over and out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have seen experienced kayakers play in Sturgeon Falls. Do what you want but don’t endanger others with your rescue. A few experienced anglers gave you great advice and you throw this post in their face👎 Over and out.
edited my post in case it came across the slightest bit ungrateful - the sturgeon falls are not fishable and clearly dangerous. I appreciate everyone’s input and edited to show respect where due. Not trying throw anything in anyones face.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts