Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought i would share this. I lost my anchor recently when a pikes teeth cut the line while we were in the midst of battle. Yes, it is the fish in my picture.

Automotive tire Font Material property Gas Wood

Watercraft Boat Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Automotive tire Gas Wood Auto part Automotive exterior

Hand Product Sleeve Textile Gesture

Fluid Liquid Gas Automotive wheel system Soil

Food Liquid Kitchen utensil Tableware Fluid

Gas Terrestrial plant Metal Grass Composite material

Hand Photograph Finger Nail Thumb

Font Grass Asphalt Road surface Wood Here are the plans for my new anchor. Use if you like.

Also I put in a pdf of the images in case you would like to download.

cheers

Fishin Musician.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was to thin actually, hard to pull out of the water. It was 1/4" yellow nylon. Im going to get a marine floating rope this time.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Not bad, I can see the shelve brackets bending a little too easily, might use some tougher steel myself. Or I could spend an extra ten bucks and have an anchor that's made already....

The big question I have, what are you using for rope that a pike ( no matter how big) managed to bite your anchor off?

Oh, posted at the same time. I always use anchor rope and a d ring clip.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those brackets wont bend unless you put one end in a vice and bang with a hammer! Especially as at least half of each end is in the cement.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
... I have lots of cement left too for another attempt if I need.

I tied a 20 pound rock to the rope for the rest of the day... it worked well. Bundled it up like spiderman!

You are obviously not Ukrainian as I am... :p

·
Registered
471 Posts
I dunno man. That's Ukrainian to the point of diminishing returns. Considering I bought my anchor for $25 on sale at Princess Auto and used 4 feet of some left over heavy chain, I dunno man. I don't move when anchored at the base of Tulabi Falls. I think you might.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
... I have lots of cement left too for another attempt if I need.

I tied a 20 pound rock to the rope for the rest of the day... it worked well. Bundled it up like spiderman!

You are obviously not Ukrainian as I am... :p

If you used a 20lb rock for the rest of the day and it worked well, a 20lb Navy Anchor is only a few bucks more than you spent on your project and it might just work a little better too!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Agreed....

The homemade anchor depicted in the .pdf only looks slightly better than the free rock you were using, and no where near as good as a store bought anchor.

I also can't fathom any freshwater fish, including a pike, biting through a nylon anchor rope. If your reason for using home made anchors is to prevent fish from biting through your anchor line and losing your store bought anchor, I don't think this will catch on!

...appreciate the info though

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
I always salute a good attempt and its great to try new ideas and innovations. Nice try, but after years of experience using all sorts of anchors and rigging up my own stuff that anchor is a complete fail.

the arms (shelves) will bend easily unless you anchoring a canoe on a current less lake and it looks way to heavy and unpractical.

Here is a perfect example of how sometimes doing it yourselves will cost you more in the end when you give up after more wasted time and money you will spend $25 to $50 on a good anchor.

If you really want to save money and want to do it yourself, get some cheap scrap metal from a scrap yard, find a buddy who is a welder and will do it cheap or free, copy a proven existing design and tweak it as you see fit... I have seen lots of great homemade anchors out there made at minimal expense, out of scrap metal and a weld job. That anchor is not even close to a good design.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm as Ukrainian as the next guy, but I see what Donovan sees. A good attempt, but it's just not going to work, buy an anchor anyway, and spend more in the long run. I've lost an anchor or two and improvised, but I always get a proper anchor first available opportunity.

Also, Keep in mind, anchors are more than just a way to keep you on your fishing spot. They are a safety item, and you don't want it to fail when your being swept down a fast river when you have no power....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took it out yesterday. Works great. Nothing bent...held in the water near lockport...no problem in the river by netley creek same thing. No chance of the arms bending on this thing unless you try and bang it with a hammer repeatedly. Even then...it will take some effort at that.

Scrap metal??? Thats what i want is to get a cut by some rusty metal bits at some point. Worst idea I have heard yet. Heavy and impractical?. Its supposed to be heavy...and its very practical. Hmmm.... get some scrap metal....oh ya...doesnt everybody have scrap metal hanging about there yard???. Isnt scrap metal expensive given you have to buy it by the pound???

Waste of time???....i have spent 15 min in my day in much more wasteful ways then that.

Guess its not the worst idea ever....seeing how it took 15-20 min, did its job?
What was a worst waste of time is the 15 min it probably took for you to type a scathing reply to something that you landed up being 100% wrong about.

Good luck

I always salute a good attempt and its great to try new ideas and innovations. Nice try, but after years of experience using all sorts of anchors and rigging up my own stuff that anchor is a complete fail.

the arms (shelves) will bend easily unless you anchoring a canoe on a current less lake and it looks way to heavy and unpractical.

Here is a perfect example of how sometimes doing it yourselves will cost you more in the end when you give up after more wasted time and money you will spend $25 to $50 on a good anchor.

If you really want to save money and want to do it yourself, get some cheap scrap metal from a scrap yard, find a buddy who is a welder and will do it cheap or free, copy a proven existing design and tweak it as you see fit... I have seen lots of great homemade anchors out there made at minimal expense, out of scrap metal and a weld job. That anchor is not even close to a good design.

·
Registered
590 Posts
His reply wasn't scathing at all... He just pointed out some design flaws and made a suggestion on how to possibly save money and build your own....

As for heavy and impractical, a modern anchor is designed to be light and functional. And your design might be way heavier than it needs to be for your boat. I can hold my 16 foot full console Lund at over 1000 lbs loaded up with a well designed anchor that weighs much less than 20lbs and is more compact than a bucket of cement...

I'm glad your design is working out for you so far. Personally, I'll just spend ten more bucks.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Took it out yesterday. Works great. Nothing bent...held in the water near lockport...no problem in the river by netley creek same thing. No chance of the arms bending on this thing unless you try and bang it with a hammer repeatedly. Even then...it will take some effort at that.

Scrap metal??? Thats what i want is to get a cut by some rusty metal bits at some point. Worst idea I have heard yet. Heavy and impractical?. Its supposed to be heavy...and its very practical. Hmmm.... get some scrap metal....oh ya...doesnt everybody have scrap metal hanging about there yard???. Isnt scrap metal expensive given you have to buy it by the pound???

Waste of time???....i have spent 15 min in my day in much more wasteful ways then that.

Guess its not the worst idea ever....seeing how it took 15-20 min, did its job?
What was a worst waste of time is the 15 min it probably took for you to type a scathing reply to something that you landed up being 100% wrong about.

Good luck

Good for mud bottom maybe, shelf brackets wouldn't last all but a few seconds bouncing off the granite bottom of the Winnipeg River System (where I fish most often) and any other Canadian Shield lake for that matter, no thanks....shelf brackets are just that, shelf brackets. I'll stick to my Richter Anchor and the anchoring system I use most often............Spot Lock!

Good on ya for making it, I personally wouldn't waste my time

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you dont like his idea you dont have to crucify him for trying to help out someone who doesnt want to spend extra money on a good anchor.

Big shots with deep walets should not even be looking at this topic.
Yes this isnt for everone but not everone has $ to buy the best anchor.

Its no wonder that anyone posts there ideas or reports as they can face this crap.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you dont like his idea you dont have to crucify him for trying to help out someone who doesnt want to spend extra money on a good anchor.

Big shots with deep walets should not even be looking at this topic.
Yes this isnt for everone but not everone has $ to buy the best anchor.

Its no wonder that anyone posts there ideas or reports as they can face this crap.
Wow...

Ok, first off, I'd hardly qualify an extra ten bucks as big spending or being a big shot mr. Moneybags. unless your too poor to afford a boat in the first place, you should be able to scrape up ten more bucks...

Secondly, no one is crucifying the guy. All I have seen was some constructive criticism, and suggestions on how to possibly improve on the design. If one can't handle that, they'll never be able to improve their work...

Third, I looked at this topic to see what ideas someone had come up with. Though I applaud the effort, I also felt I should point out potential weak spots I saw in the design before his anchor failed, possibly getting him into trouble when he needs an anchor most.

I can make a home made signal flare out of a $2 can of lighter fluid, some old fliers, and left over firewood, but I wouldn't recommend using that on a boat either....

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
to quote an old proverb "A wise man heeds the advice and experience of others.... a fool does not"

Donovan has dropped more anchors than most of us ever will - so his wisdom should be appreciated, not scorned upon.

I think its great that you were able to build something like you did - in years past, I too built anchors by filling old paint cans with concrete (with a chain hanging out) - they worked good, but not super. They would never have worked in a river with current. Your idea of shelf brackets would have helped greatly - After losing and building three of them (very inexpensive to build), I went to my local CTC and saw a 20lb anchor (real one) for $15.... hmmmm.... My feelings were exactly what others said above - $15 was money well spent, and wisely spent.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It's a case of diminishing returns trying to save 10-20$. Would be totally different if all anchors cost 150$ or more. Lord knows I try to save money where ever and when ever I can, but in this, I'll stick with a store bought anchor. Good effort though!! And thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts