Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished at Hillside Beach yesterday. Definitely need 4x4 truck or SUV with good grip tires. Went out past the few shacks toward Victoria beach. Ice was close to 4 ft. thick. 23ft of water under. I think we missed the morning bite but managed 7 or 8 eyes for the day. Fished from about 9:30 am until around 3:00 pm. Wind got up and snow was sifting into our holes not protected by the 2 vehicles. The fish were not really big, but all in the 20 inch range, and really healthy looking. No limits or MA's, but not a bad day spent on a part of LW I haven't tried before. I was impressed by the depth and not having to go out miles and miles through numerous ridges etc. Also, we were the only vehicles ( and anglers) in sight . By the look of tracks etc., it may be a gong show on weekends. BTW, I only managed one of the eight caught. I bought a dozen live minnows at Wavers, but salted shiners were the bait of choice. Pretty much a waste of $5.00. I tried rattling raps, rattle spoons and an assortment of jigs. Got a few big suspended marks on the vexilar, no chasers. All fish caught off the bottom. Big-eyed chartreuse jig and shiner worked for my single catch. Only one of eight was caught on a dead stick.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry. I was following another vehicle and when he turned, I didn't look to see any sign. Didn't think of it on the way out either. It was off Hillside Beach Road and we passed a main intersection and a playground further up. Right turn. Maybe stop at main intersection and ask . Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts