Manitoba Fishing Forum - The Premier Fishing Forum Of Manitoba banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to get in to High Lake to do some fishing. My thought was to park at Lyons and snowmobile in. When I go on the Snoman website, it shows all those trails as closed. Does this mean they are unusable, or just that they are not groomed? If anyone has been out there recently I would appreciate some feedback.Tight lines!

·
Registered
773 Posts
It just means they’re not groomed. I doubt the groomers have even crossed the lakes with the ice conditions. They’re probably marked on the lake and sleds have been down them. I usually park in the Falcon lake store parking lot as there’s way more parking for vehicles with trailers.

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat 2000 XT, Eskimo F1 Rocket 10”, Eskimo QuickFish 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 788Ci.

·
Registered
690 Posts
If the trail shows as brown on the Snoman interactive map it means exactly that. Closed. That may be for a variety of reasons. Insufficient snow cover. If it’s boggy/swampy area may be slush, thin ice or possibly open water. It could also be closed due to poor or inadequate signage deeming the trail unsafe and not usable.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Also groomers are prohibited from grooming closed trails and that will remain in place until the local trail captains have deemed the trails safe and usable. The only exception to that is when a trail is closed due to poor or inadequate signage. In that case the provincial trail auditor in his/her report will cite the required improvements. Once that is done they will be notified and a reinspection with one of the clubs trail signing volunteers will be done again. Once verified news reports will detail the changes completed and the auditor will contact Snoman office to remove the closed trail warning.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There’s parking for trucks and trailers on the ice at falcon trails too if you want to be close. Parks isn’t grooming due to ice thickness. Everything is marked and good but bumpy.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I would say there’s room at Lyons during the week. I doubt there would be room on the weekend to manoeuvre a truck and trailer. You never know the way some people park these days.

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat 2000 XT, Eskimo F1 Rocket 10”, Eskimo QuickFish 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 788Ci.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I would say there’s room at Lyons during the week. I doubt there would be room on the weekend to manoeuvre a truck and trailer. You never know the way some people park these days.

Lyons parking lot has been full the last couple weekends when weather was nice. Didn't help that the guys with trailers park kind of just parked where ever

·
Registered
773 Posts
Lyons parking lot has been full the last couple weekends when weather was nice. Didn't help that the guys with trailers park kind of just parked where ever

And that’s why I’ll travel the 7 miles across Falcon. Way more parking and it’s a nice ride anyways!

Reactions: danger

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. I went on Tuesday so parking at Lyons wasn't a problem. The trail was very bumpy, enough to break my home made sled box off. Fortunately packed enough bungies to strap it down to the trailer and finish the drive out to High. Caught one small trout. Too windy to do much moving around. All in all a fun day.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Are u talking about high lake by the downhill ski area where 90% of the lake is in Ontario?

It wouldn't make sense to park at Lyons lake to get there

But if u mean camp lake then yes camp is accessible from Lyons lake

·
Registered
773 Posts
Are u talking about high lake by the downhill ski area where 90% of the lake is in Ontario?

It wouldn't make sense to park at Lyons lake to get there

But if u mean camp lake then yes camp is accessible from Lyons lake
Yes and why not? Skip over hill to Camp, over the hill to Falcon and quick scoot to High Lake access in SE corner of Falcon. It is quicker than coming from Falcon Townsite.

·
Registered
16 Posts
High is all about the day and time. You need a flasher, and watch the trout follow your hook. Fish the holes, 60-90’. And watch the fish. I’m a falconer and we sled/snowcat in. But to come from Lyons seems a bit much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts