Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking for some general advice about ice fishing for Lakers on LOTW. I Live in Winnipeg and would love to plan a trip out but its a big lake and would love to hear peoples thoughts. I am planning on doing it one of two ways:

Plan 1
Head out early for the day trip with sleds and toboggans with pop up shelters and try to hit various locations.

Plan 2
Spend the night with my truck & trailer (ice shack on wheels roughly 2500 lbs sleeps 2 . drive around lake on ice roads try different spots

I know plan 1 is doable but is plan 2 doable too? Can I access lake safely and hit decent of enough spots that will hold Lakers in my truck? where should I go, Sioux narrows? Kenora? Pys landing? I am not looking for waypoints but am looking for general areas of the lake where I can try plan 1 and/or 2. I don't want to head out there only to find I am completely on the wrong area of the lake and cannot access it with truck. I am leaning towards plan 1 especially initially but would really like to try a weekend out there.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'd would recommend plan 2 spend the night and go to Sioux narrows. But you will need snowmobile, so I'm guessing you can't bring sled if towing your fish house, I'd get a motel in Sioux narrows and bring your snowmobile.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At Sioux Narrows can you drive right onto the lake with a truck pulling a trailer? are there plowed roads?

·
Registered
277 Posts
You might want to spend some time just driving around exploring where the roads go.
You'll see clusters of shacks where folks have set up. I think you'd have to go to Clearwater Bay for lakers.

·
Banned
353 Posts
If you have a sled, bring the sleds. I've been out a couple of weekends and it's been very evident that I need a sled to get on the spots I want to fish.

Whatever you do certainly don't be fishing for lakers in Clearwater bay unless you want a fine. It's under closure along with many other bays near Clearwater.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you have a sled, bring the sleds. I've been out a couple of weekends and it's been very evident that I need a sled to get on the spots I want to fish.

Whatever you do certainly don't be fishing for lakers in Clearwater bay unless you want a fine. It's under closure along with many other bays near Clearwater.
oops sorry thanks for correcting that info :(

·
Registered
751 Posts
I called the Conservation office in Kenora this week.
Clearwater and the bays around it are closed for fishing for Lake Trout.

Reactions: ribbie

·
Registered
277 Posts
Are other areas of LOTW good to go then?
Whitefish bay, Manitou, Bigstone Bay etc?

As a former commercial fisherman we used to net the odd one around Scotties.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would recommend Crawford's camp in Sioux narrows. Spend a weekend at the resort. I am sure they will give you all the advice you need once you have paid for their services. Small price to pay for years of future success. You could also do the same on some resorts across the road on crow lake. Great Laker fishing on crow.

·
Registered
29 Posts

for people out there who aren't familiar with the lake, be careful with bigstone this year, went to the cabin about a month ago, took the sleds out, saw some open water areas on bigstone. i don't know what it's like now tho. just throwing that out there :rolleyes:

·
Registered
786 Posts

Last few years for me was lots of slush and poor ice in Bigstone and around Scotties. The whiteys are still around!

Edit: As above and I was on a quad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advise . I think I will try Sioux Narrows on sled. Why is Clearwater closed for Lakers?

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
I would recommend Crawford's camp in Sioux narrows. Spend a weekend at the resort. I am sure they will give you all the advice you need once you have paid for their services. Small price to pay for years of future success. You could also do the same on some resorts across the road on crow lake. Great Laker fishing on crow.
I'll second this suggestion. Great advice.

Whitefish Bay holds both good numbers and a shot at a giant Lake Trout. Matt runs a tight ship at Crawford's. It's my fave camp on LOTW, by far.

Crow has decent numbers but is not known for real big ones...an 8 pounder is a "good one".

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
As Ribbie mentioned---Clearwater Bay LOTW, Cul De Sac and Echo are strictly no go zones for Lake Trout in Winter. OMNR keeps a close watch on these areas and are in no way lenient with Manitobans that try to play dumb to the regulations.... Lake Trout are really protected in NW Ont...with good reason.

·
Registered
786 Posts
As Ribbie mentioned---Clearwater Bay LOTW, Cul De Sac and Echo are strictly no go zones for Lake Trout in Winter. OMNR keeps a close watch on these areas and are in no way lenient with Manitobans that try to play dumb to the regulations.... Lake Trout are really protected in NW Ont...with good reason.
Hey watch to Tobin slurs!

:lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts