Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys looking at pretty decent deals at Reeds'

Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2...$299.95 american..

What are people thoughts on this unit and does it have flasher Mode..

Would i need to by a different transducer for ice ??

After Looking at fishing holes page i see they are selling same unit for $769.00

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
Hey guys looking at pretty decent deals at Reeds'

Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2...$299.95 american..
What are people thoughts on this unit and does it have flasher Mode..
Would i need to by a different transducer for ice ?
After Looking at fishing holes page i see they are selling same unit for $769.00
Thanks
After running the gauntlet of Macum flashers for many, many years, I switched to running graphs in the winter 3 seasons ago, added the Ice Helix 7 CHIRP GPS G2 to my arsenal at the start of last season, also run a Lowrance unit on the ice.

The Helix is just awesome, probably the best investment I made for ice fishing since I bought my first Jiffy auger 35 years ago!!!!!

Yes it has flasher mode but after you use the graph setting I can't imagine why you would want to use a flasher. The Ice Hekix version has a few more bells and whistles than the open water version but that wouldn't stop me from converting one to an ice unit. The graph is just as fast, the CHIRP setting is clear as good Vodka and the detail is incredible but mostly importantly I like the graphs ability to view the history.......that is where flashers fall short. And running mapping in the unit is a HUGE bonus. They do eat up more battery power so just be prepared with a spare, I chose to go to LiFePo4 Lithium batteries, those things just keep going. Most folks with SLA batteries either haul around a spare, turn the brightness down a touch and you'll be fine. One thing that most folks don't consider is the fact that the GPS function eats a lot juice, use that minimally and no worries.

I will never go back to a flasher only, the Helix 7 CHIRP GPS G2 will change the way you ice fish just as a flasher (for someone that hasn't used a flasher before) did the first time you used one on the ice!

You would need to purchase the optional ice CHIRP transducer that would allow the higher frequencies.

The same unit is $620 at the Hole, you looked at the price for the DI unit.....$300 at Reeds is a great price, brings it to $400 CDN, pick it up in Pembina to get the free shipping option, clear it yourself thru customs and pay your taxes, remember no duty sonars, call it a day.

www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&kw=/HUMMINBIRD/HELIX-7-CHIRP-GPS-G2/&se=29986

https://www.radioworld.ca/humminbird-chirp-ice-transducer

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Once you go graph you will never go back.
Combined with GPS and all season usage it's just a no brainer.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I upgraded to the helix 7 chirp last year too. It's awesome!

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn it Wife Took My credit card away... Hope to get it back some day to find a wicked deal like this again..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts