Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Helix 10 collecting dust while it sits inside waiting to be put on the boat. I was wondering if I would be able to convert it to ice fishing as a DIY project. Not sure how practical it would be cause the thing is bulky and most likely is a power hog compared to the 5 and 7. I would have to look into a transducer and a power source and some kind of mounting base. I have 2 flashers already but sometimes I may be taking a guest out and an extra unit could be helpful.

Any thoughts? I'm not too familiar with the fancy electronics scene yet.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
I've got a Helix 10 collecting dust while it sits inside waiting to be put on the boat. I was wondering if I would be able to convert it to ice fishing as a DIY project. Not sure how practical it would be cause the thing is bulky and most likely is a power hog compared to the 5 and 7. I would have to look into a transducer and a power source and some kind of mounting base. I have 2 flashers already but sometimes I may be taking a guest out and an extra unit could be helpful.

Any thoughts? I'm not too familiar with the fancy electronics scene yet.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Currently tucked away in the basement I have 2 10's that are usually on my boat in summer. Been using a Ice Helix 7 CHIRP on the ice with a LiFePO4 10ah battery(s) and get very good performance out of those, pretty close to 2 full days, with the 9 ah the package comes with it lasted about 5-6 hours (can always control that by turning down the brightness a bit), definite advantage in battery life and weight savings using the LiFePO4. The Helix 10 is a beast (I for one wouldn't consider it on the ice but I know others have done it), I would guess you would get close to a full day out of a LiFePO4 10 ah set up, believe your typical 8 or 9 ah SLA would last a few hours with the 10. Many other SLA options available with higher ah capacity but they are heavy beasts, you could also consider one of the deep cycles from your boat as well, heavy and bulky but doable and you might also have that just sitting around this off season. The ice 'ducer you would need is the XI 9 1521 they run anywhere between $120 and $135, CHIRP is definitely worth it on the ice IMO, the clarity and definition of the return is awesome.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
You can definitely set up bigger units for ice fishing, but really depends on your style of fishing. I have a Helix 9 and HDS 12 (they're about the same size believe it or not) in waterproof CanadianTire cases. Helix 9 and 10 use the same size case as well. The waterproof cases often go on sale for $50 if I remember correctly. You can use the same hardware that you use on the boat (unless you want to buy new hardware and cables so that you don't have to keep taking it off the boat and back on again in spring).

For battery supply, I have two 6v batteries connected in series. Reason for this set-up is that the batteries are thinner than the 12v batteries and can fit behind the Helix 9 in the case. There's also still room for small tackle boxes and the ducer.

So, it's definitely possible. The question is whether or not it's worth it. That's up to you, but it does get heavy and not something for running and gunning. A permie or staying in one location is optimum. Also, the more you put in the case the heavier it is take in and out of the shelter.

Personally, I'm back to my Hook 5 which works just as good as the bigger units and isn't such a hassle to carry since it's made to be mobile in it's case.

Let me know if you pics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts