Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to Hecla June 8 to try for some walleye. Not familiar with the area up there so was looking for any tips guys would be willing to give. From the post I read it sounds like there’s some strong current. Will most likely just be jigging and wondering what oz jig head guys we’re using as everything in my tackle box is pretty small. Also how far is it from the provincial campground to boat launch.

Thanks
Greg

·
Administrator
1,508 Posts
Heading to Hecla June 8 to try for some walleye. Not familiar with the area up there so was looking for any tips guys would be willing to give. From the post I read it sounds like there’s some strong current. Will most likely just be jigging and wondering what oz jig head guys we’re using as everything in my tackle box is pretty small. Also how far is it from the provincial campground to boat launch.

Thanks
Greg
Haven't fished Hecla myself in a while. Bring some very heavy jigs like 1oz or more as the current can be very strong. Bring many tubs of minnows per day, burning 4-5 in a day is possible at that time of the year.

If you have a Lowrance unit consider getting the Angler's Edge Mapping chip for Lake Winnipeg, the Hecla area has been recently mapped. There is a community spot very close to the launch (you can't really miss it) but should you want to fish elsewhere it would be good to have mapping to get around.

If you're camping on the island campground, it's not far from the Gull Harbor launch at all.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't fished Hecla myself in a while. Bring some very heavy jigs like 1oz or more as the current can be very strong. Bring many tubs of minnows per day, burning 4-5 in a day is possible at that time of the year.

If you have a Lowrance unit consider getting the Angler's Edge Mapping chip for Lake Winnipeg, the Hecla area has been recently mapped. There is a community spot very close to the launch (you can't really miss it) but should you want to fish elsewhere it would be good to have mapping to get around.

If you're camping on the island campground, it's not far from the Gull Harbor launch at all.

Thanks I was thinking 3/4 oz but I’ll make sure I pick up some 1oz as well. I just purchased lake maps for my hummingbird and I’m waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully it has some depths

Thanks I’ll make sure I’m well stocked on heavy jigs and minnows. Is there a place to by bait up there? I just purchased lakemaster maping for my hummingbird and hope it shows some detail and depths for that area as I’d like to do some exploring of the area.
Thanks again

Greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The campground closed late last summer for some work on septic system. I would think it will reopen this spring but make sure.
Thanks it let me make a booking
The campground closed late last summer for some work on septic system. I would think it will reopen this spring but make sure.
Thanks for the heads up
They let me make a booking a few weeks ago and there was no mention of any work being done so hopefully it was completed.

Greg

·
Administrator
1,508 Posts
Thanks I was thinking 3/4 oz but I’ll make sure I pick up some 1oz as well. I just purchased lake maps for my hummingbird and I’m waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully it has some depths

Thanks I’ll make sure I’m well stocked on heavy jigs and minnows. Is there a place to by bait up there? I just purchased lakemaster maping for my hummingbird and hope it shows some detail and depths for that area as I’d like to do some exploring of the area.
Thanks again

Greg
I believe that Gull Harbor has a store right at the launch. There's also a store at Hecla Village. I don't usually buy bait on the island so perhaps someone else can answer this better. I usually prefer getting bait at gas stations on the way or Smoke n Fish in Selkirk just in case the stores on the island are sold out (and it's a long drive to the nearest store).

Lakemaster does not cover the Hecla area in detail. It has sections of the south basin of Lake Winnipeg. You can still purchase the Angler's Edge Mapping Hecla/Grindstone maps on the Avenza app if you don't own a Lowrance unit. I like graph maps better than mobile maps but it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hecla can be a very interesting area to fish. On the same day, you can be in current areas that require 3/4oz or heavier jigs yet not far off can be out of current that allows much lighter jigs. Wind direction will also play a significant role in how that channel of water is acting. on jig weights. I have both the Navionics mapping and the Anglers Edge Mapping, and night and day difference between the 2! Navionics is very, very, (did I say very?) general in the information whereas AEM will blow you away by the detail. of course, it all comes at a cost and dependent on sonar brands being used. As previously mentioned though, AEM can now be loaded to smart phones using the AVENZA App. You can also only purchase the specific areas or bodies of waters you want, not having to buy the complete chip. As for bait, I prefer to support the "local" businesses where I am headed, but have too many times in the past had to backtrack after finding either last stop being out of stock, or having poor bait offerings. Good luck up there this summer whenever that comes, and as always, RESPECT THAT LAKE!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hecla can be a very interesting area to fish. On the same day, you can be in current areas that require 3/4oz or heavier jigs yet not far off can be out of current that allows much lighter jigs. Wind direction will also play a significant role in how that channel of water is acting. on jig weights. I have both the Navionics mapping and the Anglers Edge Mapping, and night and day difference between the 2! Navionics is very, very, (did I say very?) general in the information whereas AEM will blow you away by the detail. of course, it all comes at a cost and dependent on sonar brands being used. As previously mentioned though, AEM can now be loaded to smart phones using the AVENZA App. You can also only purchase the specific areas or bodies of waters you want, not having to buy the complete chip. As for bait, I prefer to support the "local" businesses where I am headed, but have too many times in the past had to backtrack after finding either last stop being out of stock, or having poor bait offerings. Good luck up there this summer whenever that comes, and as always, RESPECT THAT LAKE!
Tha
Thanks for all your help. The boat i purchased came with hummingbird electronics but I’m thinking maybe I should switch to lowrance or even garmin as there seems to be a lot more detailed mapping for areas of Manitoba.
As for the channel of water your talking about. Is this the channel between hecla and black island?
I’ve also read about guys fishing at the mouth of the manigatogan river.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Lundtyee19, yes I was referring to the area between Hecla and Black Islands. Fairly new to the area myself, and haven't yet ventured out to the river mouth, will put that on the list for this summer.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Given the storm we’re having right now June 8 will be too early. We’re 3 wks away from open water season. There’ll be ice on the lake May long weekend. Wouldn’t surprise me if season gets pushed back. There’ll be test nets out to see how many walleye have spawned. late cold spring will mean a delayed spawn. I’m guessing typical spring conditions and accompanying fish behaviors/patterns will be reflective of that.

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
Tha

Thanks for all your help. The boat i purchased came with hummingbird electronics but I’m thinking maybe I should switch to lowrance or even garmin as there seems to be a lot more detailed mapping for areas of Manitoba.
As for the channel of water your talking about. Is this the channel between hecla and black island?
I’ve also read about guys fishing at the mouth of the manigatogan river.

I run a separate head unit (no sonar) just for Angler's Edge Mapping, no need to give up your 'Bird!

Wood Line Font Gas Lifebuoy

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
It can be a very busy place, and launching and loading a boat can be a bit of a wait at peak times.

You pay at the Gull Harbor store by the launch, and parking is in a field across the road. (It does fill right up)
Remember a park pass is needed as well.
The wood docks to the left as you look out from the launch are used by the commercial fishers, the nice plastic ones on the right are for us. I've used the Hecla Village once and it was fine I believe they still use a pay box there.
Keep an eye out even in the harbor for commercial nets, sometimes they are everywhere.
IMO if there is a strong wind the day before you go expect a very strong current, but sometimes the wind causing the water shift and the natural current combination makes way for a low current day, it’s still a crap shoot. All the members here are giving you great advice. Watch the weather forecast for sure out there; it’s a long haul for me with a heavy boat so I really pick my days carful.
As for a finder.. on a busy day you will be more involved finding a place to fish in the popular areas than looking at it. I use mine for depth and going back to favorite spots.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
IMHO:

- Bring your own bait. I've never found bait at the local store (maybe in Hecla Village, but not at the boat launch near the campgrounds). I've done well on many different types (mainly frozen minnows but also worms, artificial minnows, leeches, spoons). Gotta see what they're in the mood for.

- 1 oz jigs are a must (sometimes I wished I had heavier jigs to stay vertical) unless you find calmer waters.

- Good maps are important, but not a must. If you're going to stay in the community spots then a map isn't going to get much use. But if you're going to go exploring then I would recommend AEM because it has recently been mapped. Bird uses the same data as Navionics which isn't accurate to say the least.

- Responding to your point about Garmin, their maps are just Navionics so not that great. Some people have uploaded what they have mapped onto Garmin's system and you download that. It helped me as a starting point and I've mapped additional areas as I drove over it.

- There is a second boat launch at Hecla Village. It's closer to the south tip of Black Island. Might be worth checking out if the campground launch is busy (plus no launch pass last I checked). Parking is on the other side of the street.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Thanks again

Greg
LakeMaster charts don't go that far north on Lake Wpg.....unless there is new mapping that I am not aware of?
Yes Bait is available up there but Very Expensive! Stock up before you head up there. Don't get me wrong I like to support local businesses... but $10/tub for minnows!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts