Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Are you part of this study???

Can you provide more information??? How many fish tagged??? Does every fish have the acoustic tag as well??? What areas were the fish tagged in??? What is the purpose of the study, movement??? Mortality rates??? How many flit tags and acoustic tags have been returned at this point??? The more Info the better, some of us are data junkies vs bandwagon junkies...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you part of this study???

Can you provide more information??? How many fish tagged??? Does every fish have the acoustic tag as well??? What areas were the fish tagged in??? What is the purpose of the study, movement??? Mortality rates??? How many flit tags and acoustic tags have been returned at this point??? The more Info the better, some of us are data junkies vs bandwagon junkies...
The walleye are being tagged now (that is why I took so long to respond as I didn't have access to internet)

The aim is 350 walleye, there were other fish species tagged last year but not nearly as many of each of those species.

The fish that are already tagged, were tagged in the Red and near Riverton. We are headed to different access points in the channel and North basin to do the rest.

Each fish with a Floy tag will have an acoustic tag, and vise versa; however, there is a possibility that there are may be Floy tags that are not part of the study from previous work, I am not sure. They are uniquely numbered and you will see the sutures or a mark when the sutures have fallen out.

No tags have been called in yet to our knowledge.

The fish need to be at least 1.2kg to handle the acoustic tag. Meaning that most fish are over 55cm. The biggest fish we have tagged so far I think was around 75cm.

The study has multiple partners. Some key aspects of the study is to measure movement, mortality by different sources (but we hope to keep them alive as long as possible as the acoustic tags work for 5 years), habitat association, etc. The fish also have other samples taken to look at genetics, diseases, and a suite of other factors that might be related to movement, mortality, or habitat selection.

We had no mortality (before winter, we haven't downloaded the receivers yet since ice-off) in the fish we tagged last year; however, they were not walleye. They include sturgeon, channel catfish, carp, and bigmouth buffalo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are not having the best of luck finding big enough walleye to tag in the Channel and North Basin.

Went to Grand Rapids this week. There were tons of small walleye but we couldn't shock one up big enough (we need them to be at least 1.2kg). Thought that might happen based on one of the other threads, but hoped the different method might have different results.

I saw in another forum that if you don't know where to look in the Channel/North Basin, you are sh*t outta luck. If anyone has any suggestions they are willing to share that would be great. Needs to be shallow as the electro-shocker only works in water up to 3m deep.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More than we'd like probably.

I just heard on Friday that 2 have been called in by the commercial guys.

I came in on this project after it already started, I am not sure if they worked the numbers on what amount of fishing mortality is expected. It is definitely on our minds though.

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
More than we'd like probably.

I just heard on Friday that 2 have been called in by the commercial guys.

I came in on this project after it already started, I am not sure if they worked the numbers on what amount of fishing mortality is expected. It is definitely on our minds though.

Im going on a limb and say 85% mini caught in commercial Nets.. Yes that is a Large Number but there is alot of Nets out there... GL...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.