Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So took a last minute run out to the river tonight. After Friday night I had to put my game face back on. The king of the shore kitties got showed up by Mr. Boat Guide, and well that just will not do ;) . So I wrapped the foot and hobbled down to another hole I like to fish. In 3 hours I landed 14 cats while my wife sat and made some smores by the night time fire.

Unfortunately I did not have my bump board when I landed this beauty only a tape. So I am not even going to post numbers here cause well I know of at least one member here that will just shake his head ;) but I would give in a solid estimate of high end 30's. Bait of choice was Shrimp dunked into a home made cocktail that drives Mr. Whiskers nuts. This was my biggest land of the night and just refused to be landed for a good 10 minutes.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually no. The spot is actually a really hot spot for alot of anglers. Problem is they don't know how to fish it. Tip of the day. Just cause you can cast half way across the river does not mean that you always should.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
lol Ty. Great report and it's great to see the fish were biting for you. I would hardly say I showed you up with one fish. Very slow night fishing but bsing on the shoreline with a couple of pals was the fun part for me. You have to stop assuming I am talking about you when it comes to fish measurments :lol: I don't dought any of your numbers or size. I have fished with a lot of guys over the years and spent tons of time on the shore and yeah your right I generally shake my head at many of the measurements I have witnessed and reports I have read. A lot of the musky guys I know say the same thing about fish measurments on the musky scene. I was in bob's last week and he had this guy in there bad mouthing a well known local pro going on and on how good he was and how badly he was outfishing this pro and then he finished up by saying that every musky he catches is a 50 incher or he gives his rod away....rofl. I had a good laugh with bob about that one.

In the end fish measurments don't really matter, it is all about getting out and having fun, however for the guys that want to catch big fish and get proper measurments here is a great way to do it without a bump board. lay the fish down as flat and straight as possible. Put your tackle box, a board or something flat up tight to the fishes nose then go to the tail spread it out flat, not pinched, and draw a line with you knife from top tip to bottom tip of the tail or use a straight edge on the tail in the same way. Then take a ridged measuring tape and measure that distance and you will get a pretty darn accurate measurment. Don't lay the tape on the fish bowing the tape the way that guy does it on river monsters, lol and don't use those flexible seamstress tapes as they have to be stretched to be accurate. Again in the end it is all about having a good time

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol owe I don't take your comments about measuring personally. But I am sure you would have shaken your head when I said.

I had it with my berkley lip grip and held it up in the air pulled the built in tape down to the end of the tail well at least where I guess the end of the tail was my arms can only spread so far. And she measured 43". I guarantee you would be reading that and shaking your head debating on calling me later tonight to tell me I am full of it. Cause when I did do that and she said 43" I shook my own head and said damn wish I had my bump board not even going to post this. lol

however the box and line tip is a pretty good one I should have thought of that. Any way I am sticking to my guns on high 30's with her though. I don't think she broke the 40 mark but maybe I will see her again next year :cool:

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
That is encouraging I just bought a Berkley lip grip.

But I am pretty sure the Blackwater lip grips handle significantly more cats than mine will so I hope it holds out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts