Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a conversation piece that I get into with my guests from time to time and would love to hear others opinions/ experiences on the topic.

I have always been under the belief that our "greenbacks" get their emerald green coloring from the limestone rich water of the north basin where they summer. I believe this is true, however there have been basically no studies done on Lake Winnipeg that I am aware of on walleye migrations. How far do the walleye actually migrate? how far north do they actually have to swim to obtain that emerald green coloring or can they basically stay in the south basin? Fish that are caught in the rivers and south basin in summer seem to have that washed out resident fish look to them.

As well I came across this post on another forum from our local CO andre who is a knowledgable guy with many many years experience with fisheries. His post seems to dispute the fact that the walleyes migrate very far south. you can check it out it is the 13th post down and a good read. http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ub ... e_Winnipeg

anyway I would love to see a good discussion about this and hear some other opinions and experiences. How far north are guys catching emerald green eyes consistanly in the summer? how far south have they caught them in the fall? how long does it take for a greenback to loose the green?

·
Registered
145 Posts
This is an excellent thread and it should provide some good discussion.

I was under the impression that the entire lake winnipeg structure was a limestone base. Therefore the walleye in the south basin would not have to migrate anywhere in order to get their color. I read Andre's post and would tend to agree with it. This would also give support to the idea that the entire base of the lake is limestone and therefore extending the area that greenbacks are found.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts