Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fished Grand Rapids (Saskatchewan River) lately? If so, is there any current downstream from the dam and how is the catching?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Saw on Facbook some young fella was slaying them last week. No monsters but steady eaters. Drifting from dam down.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Although I haven't fished the river at Grand Rapids for years, it's always the same, the bite is on as long as the dam is open and there is flow. A closed dam with no flow kills the bite. Lots of smaller cookie cutters and the bigger ones are out into the lake.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We fished Grand Rapids July 18 & 19. On the 18th we fished for 2 1/2 hours, caught 30 walleye and 1 drum. On the 19th we fished for 7 hours, caught 72 walleye. I've fished GR several times before including in 2017 when we were catching 55 fish/hour. We didn't catch as many fish this trip but the average size was larger, many fish in the 16.5-19.25" range. We did not catch a fish over 19.5". We could not fish from the bridge out onto the lake as it was too rough.
There was lots of current in the river, we were drifting at 2.5-3.25 mph on the north side and 1.8-2.5 mph on the south side. Jigs with twister tails produced as many fish as jigs with shiners or crawlers.
We stayed at Pine Grove Cabins which was full. Would have stayed longer but there were two nights only available.
Miles of burned forest on the way north.
Water temp was 68F to 69F.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I’d like to try GR one day but with friends in Flin Flon we headed there from the 14th to the 19th.
Couldn’t believe the burnt forest between St Martin Junction and Devils Lake area. I heard it happened in May.

Summer rig: 2009 Crestliner 1700 FishHawk, Merc 90 4S, Humminbird 788Ci, 570, MinnKota Power Drive V2, 24v, AP, CP, US2.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Great report! Wish there were more like it:

Anyone notice the old rusty car burned in the bush on the west side of the road in the fire area?
lol I finds it’s a pretty empty stretch the last bit to GR so almost anything stands out

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great report! Wish there were more like it:

Anyone notice the old rusty car burned in the bush on the west side of the road in the fire area?
lol I finds it’s a pretty empty stretch the last bit to GR so almost anything stands out
My fishing partner noticed the car in the bush on our return trip from GR. When we came out of the Saskatchewan River and stopped at the Invasive Species Watercraft Inspection station I was asked where I would next launch my boat. I said "I don't know, maybe Hecla or Winnipeg Beach or Pine Falls". "Is that on Lake Winnipeg"? "Yes"
"Then you don't need a washdown".
What? What if I lied? What if I was next going to Wekusko and lied because I didn't want a washdown. That is no way to run this system. And there is no washdown station at Eriksdale this year.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Ya, I tell them I don't know so that they do the washdown. If you tell them I'm coming back to the Red or LW then they won't do the wash down. What I intend on going to the Red then decide to go to Falcon? I'd have to either skip or do the washdown myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts