Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

Goose hunting within city limits rm of rosser and macdonald

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  bowser55 
#1 ·
Hello there I had made a post in the Manitoba hunting forum but I’d now like to know from authorities themselves.
So looking at a map where it’s legal to hunt geese with in city limits for the 2 rms I’ve mentioned as long as it’s in these municipalities and I have permission it is legal within city limits?
Last thing I’d want is to look like a clown without doing my homework especially in front on new young up in coming hunters as well.
And as for the white tails the urban center fire limits on the hunting regulations the section outlined in yellow with black stripping is legal to discharge center fire for whitetails or is everything outside this shaded area is legal?
Any sort if clarification would be awesome I know it’s the fishing forum but it’s says ask a warden and that’s what I’m
Doing
Thank you

#3 · (Edited)
Yikes! Agree with Mb Hunter.

My take from your post though is that you really need to study and read the regs thoroughly before you take a rifle out anywhere -- especially page 28 with the the ACTUAL RIFLE DEER SEASONS. The prohibited centrefire zone is basically just adding a prohibited rifle deer hunting area with GHAs that actually have a rifle deer season (25B, 34C and 35A), it is reducing the rifle hunting zone, not adding to it. The other zones DO NOT HAVE RIFLE DEER SEASON, PERIOD: 33, 34B and 34C (DEER ZONE F) and especially 38 which is the city. 34B and 34C are archery only for deer. As per early in the regs re. firearms, some of the RMs do not even allow centrefire use at all and some even prohibit hunting. To be safe, as per Manitoba Hunter's advice, make sure you speak to a CO in the area you plan to hunt given you ignorance of the regs. FYI - farmers or landowners in most cases rarely know what the hunting and firearms discharge rules are for their area unless they are experienced hunters themselves.

Honestly, to have a safe hunt, if your group has no rifle deer hunting experience you really should find a way to go out with someone who does.

#4 ·
Often you can contact the RM office. I know for the Gimli RM where I live gives out maps and and handout showing which areas a hunter can hunt & what weapons. For example Hwy 222 east to the lake archery only. . 222 west to Hwy 8 archery then muzzle. Hwy 8 & west all 3. Riflle. Muzzle. Archery.

#5 ·
I’ve hunted deer for a long time now but looking to explore new areas and the urban center fire map is a bit confusing so I just want to better understand so I don’t end up looking stupid fines suspensions property seized etc
It’s the same with goose hunting in the perimeter I just want to make sure I’m
Legal I want no issues it’s bad enough you get anti hunting ppl bother you last thing I need is authorities taking me to the cleaners

#6 ·
I agree with you that the deer centrefire stuff is a bit confusing but understandable given there are different jurisdictional authorities involved. Ultimately you really need to know what the RMs allow and then collate with the deer season. In some cases centrefires are allowed within some of the zones out of deer season (ie within the RM, say for coyotes or perhaps target shooting), but the prohibition zone prohibits their use anytime during deer season. This makes it pretty straightforward for the authorities to investigate given any rifle shot is prohibited.

These are not new areas and not an additional opportunity, it is a subtraction for safety in built up areas.

My own takes is there are certainly much better areas to explore and far more enjoyable scenarios than something near-urban, but to each their own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.