Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
I really like my current setups for pike I run a 7'9 medium heavy fenwick elite tech musky for buck tails sw baits and casting heavy jigs and I use a 7'6 heavy fenwick elite tech musky for bigger heavier baits like large swim baits casting heavy cranks and such. I have a currado 300e on my 7'9 and a daiwa low profile bait casting reel for the 7'6. Personally I like 40 lbs braid and 18" titanium leaders for pike but 20 pound would be fine. For casting top waters and husky jerks and such I run a 7 foot fenwick medium heavy spin cast rod with 20 lbs braid. Between the three rods I have most styles covered pretty well and have been really happy with fenwick I broke a 7'9 due to my own fault told them the truth and had a new rod in 2 weeks at my door! You don't have to go with as heavy of a setups as I prefer but they do the job I ask them too without issues so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
20 pound braid is strong enough? I mostly cast spoons spinners and lipless cranks and use 40 pound suffix. Been catching a lot more walleyes so I've been thinking of going down to a 30 pounded but if 20 pound braid will be enough.

·
Registered
36 Posts
20lb is enough, depends what you are going to snag where you are fishing. Like above has mentioned a heavier line won't hurt as it might save a few lost hooks and what not. I have ran a 6'6" med/heavy ugly stick for years and have never had trouble. I have fished a few lakes that have a lot of stumps and dead fall so use a heavier braid than 20lb, but other than that it has worked for me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ahh okay I used 40 pound+ for bass in lily pads and now where I have been fishing I pretty much know where every rock and stump is so getting snags is no issues. just using a 6'9 medium heavy abu garcia veritas and a abu garcia revo sx/rocket

·
Registered
656 Posts
I dont always fish for big pike ,

but when i do i use a Abu Garcia Vendetta 7'10 medium heavy one piece with a corvalus and 50 lb power pro and 18 titanium leader for bigger baits , smaller baits i use a 6'10 medium heavy one piece quantum KVDTour rod with a 300 curado with 50 lb power pro and 18 in titanium leader doubles as bass rod in heavy cover.

I use 50 lb braid and 90 lb titanium leader( Joe Bucher 7 strand leaders) because big baits are really expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.