Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've honestly never fished at Lockport before but I'm going to give it a shot for cats. Just wondering are goldeyes easy enough to catch or should I buy some cat bait in advance.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've honestly never fished at Lockport before but I'm going to give it a shot for cats. Just wondering are goldeyes easy enough to catch or should I buy some cat bait in advance.

Tough to say Crimson, I’ve had kinda crappy luck catching goldeye at Lockport, seems way easier around breezy point area right outside of Selkirk but this could just be me. Let us know how you do I’m curious!

·
Administrator
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep will do.

I'll bring some leftover goldeye and shrimp. Hopefully goldeyes are catchable but hopefully having some bait might salvage the day.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I've tried a couple times this year around lockport and nadda. Picked up shrimp from Superstore today instead.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Was there fir a few hours in the afternoon yesterday with an old timer!!!
Not much showing on the two graphs and as we arrived the ten boats that were there shrunk to six. We stayed there did an hour and only saw two small cats caught and they were using frogs. We moved north to the miracle mile and had a few sauger hit and instead of catching catfish my partner for the day was producing a few jack. After another hour we moved across the River from hour spot and finally catfish were showing up on the graphs, but bottom of the River was littered with them. Unfortunately we were not prepared with the right bait, just had a few left over Tulibee and they were not interested.
My partner Richard said that was only one way to cst h a catfish when they were like this. Taking his light Walleye rod with a jig tipped with a salted minnow and after a sauger had robbed him of his minnow he left it down. With a few twitches of his jig and he set the hook and said I think I got the big one or a snag. Little current on the red and his line was tight and slowly pulling drag. Up conmes the anchor and on goes the electric motor to see if we can gain some line back. Trying to make sure that I didn’t go too fast but enough time gain some line and keep some tension. Round and round we go and not gaining much headway as we keep hearing the line being pulled of the reel. Richard couldn’t even move it if the bottom and thinking HD certainly had a fish of a lifetime on which is quite an achievement considering he has been fishing for over 7o plus years. After a good half hour we finally started to gain some ground and some line back. Bother ten minutes and we started to see that we are getting close but still haven’t seen this fish except for a few swells with this fish moving the water as he trying to pull away.
Another five minutes we finally could see what Richard had, he had a 32” catfish but not hooked like any normal as l angler would. He gad hooked it by the back tail right on top. We were lucky that it didn’t go on for much longer because poor old Richard hasn’t been out very much since the start of Covid and I was getting worried with his breathing and gasping for air and his long arms not used to this much physical activity plus I had promised his wife that I would bring him back home safe and sound. I was worried that I would have to use the battery cables near the end.
Certainly glad things worked out for us in the end and after a another half hour of catching a few sauger we called it and headed back in. Thinking now that I was lucky that the catfish were bit to interested in my bait since I had forgot to pack the first aid kit and defibrillator.
Nice to hook up with you again Richard and thanks for showing how the old guys catch catfish without bait!!!!

·
Administrator
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So just to let you guys know, I was unable to catch any goldeyes around the dam. I did bring shrimp and goldeye though which did allow us to catch a few cats. The action wasn't very hot so we did have enough bait. Not bad for my first time at Lockport with a boat.

Also tried for walleyes and I did end up with some resident walleyes but no greenbacks. Mostly a sauger and bullhead soup kitchen. Water is 65° right now so I think we're still a little while before the run.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Temp going in right direction

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I tried for goldeyes at Lockport as well yesterday with no luck. Even saw guys right up at the locks (only a few feet away from them) and didn't see them catching either.

Cats didn't want my shrimp so I headed home. It seemed to be slow yesterday and the cats might have started to move north with the low water levels and temps starting to slowly drop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had an hour last night and said screw it and hit a spot in Winnipeg close to my house that's not half bad (wolsley/west broadway area). Wasn't expecting to catch a lot but I ended up with 3 goldeye and a small cat, might be my new spot for getting that kitty candy!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have been out hammmering Cats the past month as my walleye itch has been completely scratched since my 3 week wilderness camping trip to NW Ontario in July/ August. Fresh Goldeye has been my go to bait, I normally start the morning early catching fresh Goldeye in the Miracle mile area, then head a bit South to hammer the Cats with the fresh bait. I have packed it in each day once my arms are sore after catching 40 to 50 Cats with several trophies each day. What a resource we have here in our back yards!!!! This selfie is a 37" trophy.....don't recommend anyone trying this as my hand is still sore from this self indulgence(LOL!!! whose head is bigger!!!!....).......I find the sunny calm mornings have produced the best goldeye fishing........Cats on the other hand seem to always be hungry weather it is Sunny, cloudy, raining.....got to love this awesome catch and release fishery!!!!!!!!!!!

Glasses Sky Sunglasses Goggles Vision care

1 - 11 of 11 Posts