Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been advised that the goldeyes are crazy right now and turn out to be great cat bait; I've been using shrimp at lockport and have been pretty successful.

Can anyone provide me the proper technique for catching the goldies? Also, where to look for them. I'll be fishing lockport oN Sunday and possibly Wanipigow on Saturday.

·
Banned
5,260 Posts
Hi everyone, I've been advised that the goldeyes are crazy right now and turn out to be great cat bait; I've been using shrimp at lockport and have been pretty successful. Can anyone provide me the proper technique for catching the goldies? Also, where to look for them. I'll be fishing lockport oN Sunday and possibly Wanipigow on Saturday.
small jig, piece of worm. Or small jig below bobber.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Size 2 circle hook, 2 split shot sinkers and a float roughly 15" above the hook. 1/4 piece of crawler on the hook and you'll be on goldeye in no time. Don't hesitate in moving that bobber a bit up or down either. If they're not biting at the depth you have your float at, even 6" seems to make a difference.

·
Banned
5,260 Posts
Size 2 circle hook, 2 split shot sinkers and a float roughly 15" above the hook. 1/4 piece of crawler on the hook and you'll be on goldeye in no time. Don't hesitate in moving that bobber a bit up or down either. If they're not biting at the depth you have your float at, even 6" seems to make a difference.
my son in law banged off over a hundred pretty quick. NRO's told him they caught one guy with 250 in his truck.

·
Registered
371 Posts
All it takes is a big school or two to come in and numbers like that are no problem. Been plenty of times I've limited out on Goldie in less than ten minutes with that technique. Saw a guy last year at the floodway outlet catch fish after fish for about 3 hours.. He must have caught over 200 and every single one went back into the river.

·
Registered
854 Posts
my son in law banged off over a hundred pretty quick. NRO's told him they caught one guy with 250 in his truck.
they don't learn do they EVER...a fine is just a piece of paper part of the cost f doing business I guess..

·
Administrator
1,420 Posts
Light action is what I use but finesse isn't really needed as long as you get the rig far enough. I used to use mediums all the time. Sometines the Red has surprises though and you will end up fighting a MA catfish with a wet noodle so at least get a reliable setup.

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Any ever try some sort of plastics for gold eye we tried some twister tails this morning with no luck
I've found that they often want more bulk. In that case I put a small plastic worm first then a small piece of real worm. They don't seem to hit the plastic alone and don't wanta use a full worm just for bulk.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts