Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what go to baits guys use for whitefish/tullibee and technique/approach as the season progresses?

feeding habits, suspended or on the bottom, things like that?

·
Registered
699 Posts
My favorite bait for whitefish is a heavy silver spoon about 3/4 of an inch long with 2 split rings going to a single hook Baited with a small hunk of minnow or a perch eye if you have any.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I only really target them later in the ice season but usually find them on the bottom with a small jig (1/16-1/8) with a small tube on it. No minnow/parts of.

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
Two totally different fish when it comes to tackle -

Cisco (tulibee) like very small baits - i use a minnow head on a 1/16 - 1/32 jig head, or, a simple hook with a split shot above - think small. The best luck I have had is on vertical drop offs, i am guessing they are nibbling on the bugs that are on/in the rocks.

Whitefish, like mentioned above, i have caught with silver jigging spoons, some on chubby darters, and some on a jig/minnow.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Whitefish and Cisco?

Any good small lakes for fishing Whitefish or Cisco out of a canoe? Ideally in Southeast MB.

It sounds like these fish are coming up from deeper water up the water column it a shelf or top of a drop off. Is that typically where we would find them in our waters? So fishing at the top of drop off would be the right place to drop baited jigs or spoons?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts