Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a used 2003 G3 angler v180 console boat with a yammy 115
I'm looking for help to figure out which prop pitch would be best as well as top speeds guys are achieving, or any input from guys that have same or similar packages. It doesn't really seem to plane out flat enuf , seems to plow bit too much water. Boat came with aftermarket prop, put on a factory yammy 17pitch prop and could only get 35mph out of boat,couldn't tell my rpm cause tach was glitchy. but was trimmed right out cause any lil turn it would cavitate. Put new tach in boat and now Tried a yammy 19pitch on wknd and really didn't seem to grab anymore speed out of it at like 5000rpm. Not sure if motor needs to be adjusted on transom or maybe that's just the way boat is. Trying to compare to buddy's 07 alumacraft navigator with 115 yammy with 19pitch that can achieve 40mph and plane out flat. Thanks in advance for any input or help!

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Can't be too much help, my package is all 2009 and I do not have any of the issues you describe even when I ran the factory aluminum (switched to s/s), try going to a s/s prop, many out there that provide extra bow lift. Also could be too much weight in the bow. Seems like that 115 many be taxed with that size boat, believe they were rated for 150. Best advice would come from a dealer.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input , I'll certainly check into those bulletins. Well it does say it's rated for 175 hp so might not be enuf motor for boat I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
18' console boat with a 115 doing 35 mph? that's good man, the plowing issue is a G3 thing, I would say you'd need minimum 150 ponies on that sucker to get it to plane good

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a good friend who has a v175 G3 with a 115 Yamaha. It plows water all the time and cavitates while trimmed up and turning all the time. He has tried several different props and also a hydrofoil. Very little improvement on anything he has tried. We have discussed the G3 performance endlessly and all I can say after spending many hours in that rig is that is how a G3 runs. As crazy as it sounds we both agree that it seems like the motor is mounted about 6 inches too high on those rigs which I believe is a transom design issue. The spray from where that hull breaks the water goes all the way back to the back seats,,,even at 38 mph which is his top speed. Best of luck.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sadly Tinman I know it's really nothing to complain about. Just with it not seeming to be fully planed out or plowing it gets lil splashy in the boat if kind cutting across waves etc. that's why figured I'd ask for input or experiences with these style boats. I was hoping to have a just as fast or better yet faster boat then a certain banned member on this forum we both know, he wants to race for some reason. Ha

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks LizLakeZed for your experience with these boats. I'm gonna talk to my buddy who repairs props and bottom ends to see if lowering or raising my motor will help or change things. Looks like I can move motor down at least an inch before it rests on transom or up lots, not sure what does what when move motor. Might be a few diff tests or trial runs to see if anything helps, or it is what it is and I've just gotta be happy with her the way she is. Thanks again for your insight

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Friends of mine have the G3 172F with a 115 Yamaha. I've driven it quite a bit, the one thing I did notice with performance was that it takes very a long time to get up on plane. Top end speed was not an issue at all.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Outside of any boat/hull design issues, I would try a 16 or 17p 4 blade prop (solar Amita 4 blade, $120ish USD, iboats.com) with your motor at the correct height (cavitation plate level or slightly higher than the bottom of the boat). Take for a rip and note RPM's, Top speed, boat handling and cornering, and blowing/porpising.
Then, for your own educational purpose, lower your motor all the way down and go for a rip - you will notice the diff! Then, set it to where you like, most likely you will like the high up setting.
I had a F115 too - on a big boat. I found the 17p was best suited, altho a 16 may have been a bit better. The 4 blade stuck to the water much better than the stock yam prop, plus it lifted the stern out of the water much quicker.
I am also a believer in hydrofoils on underpowered boats - do consider it. Se300 is a good one.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Thanks for posting the link, keeps me from retyping everything I said in there......don't know what year boats you guys are talking about (that plow water) my package is all 2009 and no issues. Splash comes off anywhere from between the first and second seat positions to the last 8" from the stern (depending on load)........not new to boats, have had 2 previous to this one, couldn't be happier........maybe I just got lucky.

17.5' G3 Angler, 115 Yamaha, 92" beam, 79" chine width, 19 pitch s/s Yamaha prop, tops out at 42 mph GPS at 5850 RPM's, 2 guys, full tank of gas, med load, 1 grp 31 AGM starting battery in the floor at the back, 2 grp 27 AGM deep cycle batteries under front rod locker and a Terrova up on the nose, raised my motor one hole (from factory) as well.....couldn't be happier with this top end....sacrificed a little hole shot, but I not pulling tubes or skiers either.

I selected the prop right from a Yamaha Performance Bulletin published for my model of boat, s/s prop made a world of difference, it doesn't blow out even when trimmed right up, not even in turns.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I had a 2004 G3 18' with 115 yammi. Could not get the boat to stop plowing water. Sold it because of that issue and not liking the layout which is just a personal thing. G3 changed their hull design in 09/10 I believe. Hell of a motor though!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I had a 2004 G3 18' with 115 yammi. Could not get the boat to stop plowing water. Sold it because of that issue and not liking the layout which is just a personal thing. G3 changed their hull design in 09/10 I believe. Hell of a motor though!!

Interesting,,,my buddies G3 is an '06 or '07.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really like the link you posted on this BGF, might give me few different prop ideas to try. As for Neilp, oh man that's not what I wanted to hear. Lol. I gotta a plower, guess I might just have to get used to getting little bit wet. Think this is gonna be a lot of different testing and see what combo or changes I like best for optimal performance for my boating style. Really appreciate all the input guys. Thanks again

·
Registered
139 Posts
You need to get your rpms into their optimal range, which for your motor is 6000. Now you can achieve that in a couple of ways. Raising the motor will increase rpms. But if you are having cavitation issues, then you have gone too high.

Dropping prop pitch will also increase rpms. My guess is that you will need a 16p prop. I would go with a Quicksilver Silverado or something else. The suggestion for a 4 blade istn' bad either.

There is no way your motor can turn a 19p prop on that boat.

Rpm's are the most important part of the equation.

Your boat will never be a speed demon so get that out of your head. Don't expect more than 35 mph either. That is a good speed. Holeshot, and maneuverability are more important.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I'm sure your right bigfishunter, im not gonna be a rocket boat. Had a few drinks in garage last night staring at boat with a few buddy's and we're discussing my options or what to try next. Think was gonna try dropping motor and record rpms, speeds etc with diff props. Then go from there. Think I should just concentrate on trying to get boat to plow less water then silly speed.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The way I see it , 1 from the top. I can drop the motor 1 bolt hole which should pretty much have motor resting on transom. Should give more bow lift out of the hole and bit more play room for trimming motor which might get me to plane better or flatter? I'm guessing of coarse.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts