Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a lot of issues getting any speed out of my boat last outing, seemed like it was starving for fuel. Ran fine on the muffs, but under load out on the water it would bog down.

Changed out all the lines and primer bulbs for both engines. I saw some build up when I was cutting the line for a size sample, but was unsure it that was the issue.. till I started changing out lines.
I opened up some of the lines that were near connections.

Picture is the line for the 115 hp engine. (Real Bad)
Hand Automotive tire Finger Rim Household hardware

The line for my kicker engine was a different make and it was old but was fine.

I heard that one time manufacturers were experimenting with different types of fuel line, I think all this gunk is actually a liner in the hose that broke down.
Checked the fuel filter as well, nothing got that far.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
That's Ethanol for ya! Must be a older boat, before most manufacturers started using Ethanol compatible fuel lines.................ETHANOL SUCKS!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's Ethanol for ya! Must be a older boat, before most manufacturers started using Ethanol compatible fuel lines.................ETHANOL SUCKS!
Post is to let others know what can happen to old fuel lines, good you added the ethanol factor.

The fuel line was the old type with the liner, but it aged out (2003 Lund). It came off in sheets, had it been in smaller particles I would have seen it at the fuel filter.
I hate ethanol as well, but no ethanol has gone into it in the last 6 years I have had it, just Co-op Premium. True the previous owner may have used some ethanol and started the process.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Post is to let others know what can happen to old fuel lines, good you added the ethanol factor.

The fuel line was the old type with the liner, but it aged out (2003 Lund). It came off in sheets, had it been in smaller particles I would have seen it at the fuel filter.
I hate ethanol as well, but no ethanol has gone into it in the last 6 years I have had it, just Co-op Premium. True the previous owner may have used some ethanol and started the process.
Is that "liner" like a metal spring to avoid crushing or kinking of the fuel line?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that "liner" like a metal spring to avoid crushing or kinking of the fuel line?
I don't think so, my old hose was just the way it was made, the new stuff is compatible with ethanol blends. I heard about there being two layers a while back if it was older hose, and that the inner layer can collapse.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
I had same thing happen to my boat many years ago just after I bought it. Was three years old (2007) when I bought it and I guess previous owner just used good old regular e-85 in it. I changed it out just for kicks but cut it in half just to check. Wasn’t as bad as yours but inner layers were collapsing. Have used premium ever since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts