Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I there just wounding if anyone have been out anywhere and knows of some recent ice thickness reports would appreciate sharing it here. And no Nancy's aloud if your not going to share info or have pleasant conversations then don't even comment please not all of us are interested in your negative opinions

Thanks and tight lines

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I there just wounding if anyone have been out anywhere and knows of some recent ice thickness reports would appreciate sharing it here. And no Nancy's aloud if your not going to share info or have pleasant conversations then don't even comment please not all of us are interested in your negative opinions

Thanks and tight lines
No one on after the base. The guy fishing here earlier says 4-5“ fairly close to shore. Absolutely no sign of foot traffic past the Base up to EOM. Creek ice looks rather iffy. Did not walk on. Rough road after the pavement ends. Selkirk Park has holes close to shore but access to the river has a lot of snow to pull thru. As of 2 hours ago. Did not check CIL as I hate fishing here

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
No one on after the base. The guy fishing here earlier says 4-5“ fairly close to shore. Absolutely no sign of foot traffic past the Base up to EOM. Creek ice looks rather iffy. Did not walk on. Rough road after the pavement ends. Selkirk Park has holes close to shore but access to the river has a lot of snow to pull thru. As of 2 hours ago. Did not check CIL as I hate fishing here
No one at the base has driven close the bank. Access today from the parking lot. Pretty sure trucks will make a trail tomorrow

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I fished a few hours yesterday north of the bridge to nowhere, I found 3 to 4 inches, I was very careful checking every few feet with the spud bar, I had a floater suit and a life jacket on and I had ice picks ready

·
Administrator
1,555 Posts
Went out west for stocked trout. Ice thickness is generally good with about 4-5", takes many strikes of the spud bar to break through. It's generally a lot safer considering zero current and generally fishing shallow water.

I know lots of people went on the Red last weekend but I personally want to play it safe and fish next weekend maybe after it gets a lot colder. We have lots of season left so there's no rush.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I grew up around ice from my early teens. There’s calculated risk. And then there’s dumb fucking stupid. People on river ice right now given the unseasonably warm temps are clearly members of the exclusive not so prestigious TSTL club. Too stupid to live. Those dumb f***s wanna put their lives at risk. Fine. Go ahead. Fill your boots. But for rescue personnel to have to risk their lives. It’s analagous to highways being closed because of winter storm. Yet some dumb ass decides to drive around the barricade gets stuck gets in trouble and then expect to be rescued. Insert big head shake and eye roll here.

·
Registered
969 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya well this thread is not here to call people names ect . It's to help people and create a close community so we can all laugh and catch more fish .. no where does it sat anything in this thread about no river ... lakes and pounds .. so like I said before NO NANCY ALOWED ... I DONT DISAGREE THAT THE RIVERS NOT THE WISEST PLACE TO GO BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS GOING THERE OR ASKED ANYTHING ABOUT IT.. ALTHOUGHT NOT AGAINST ANYONE SHARING ICE INFO ABOUT IT .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya well this thread is not here to call people names ect . It's to help people and create a close community so we can all laugh and catch more fish .. no where does it sat anything in this thread about no river ... lakes and pounds .. so like I said before NO NANCY ALOWED ... I DONT DISAGREE THAT THE RIVERS NOT THE WISEST PLACE TO GO BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS GOING THERE OR ASKED ANYTHING ABOUT IT.. ALTHOUGHT NOT AGAINST ANYONE SHARING ICE INFO ABOUT IT .
Sorry what I ment was no where on the thread does it say I was going to go to the river .
I wrote on last post no where on here does it say anything about the river but it let out a few words as I was using speech to text and was so flustered just wanted to clarify that after I posted and then read it

·
Registered
285 Posts
you cant have over confidence in the ice.. its funny hearing people we are being safe or feel safe. being on ice is RISK everyone take doesnt matter if it 2in or 4ft of ice, anything can happen. recently 200+ people stuck and rescued on upper red lake. due to high winds, lake cracked. those people felt safe also "low risk" till mother nature said NO!

personally your floating suit is a great technology, but what kills people, is can you recover after the plunge. in river situation with current flow, your floating suit will help rescuers to find your body under the ice

1 - 20 of 23 Posts