Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a trout trip planned for March 19,20,21 out on foot print lake. First time out there in winter. Has anyone been out there recently that could give me some pointers? Hoping to catch my first master. Looking forward to it!

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Fished it lots - at this time of year, i would go across the lake from the launch, or, if conditions wont allow, follow east shoreline north from launch, stay in depth where you can see BOTH gravel and weeds - usually 7-9ft. Be careful driving on east side north of launch, there are two springs along that shoreline
Use a minnow on a hook with split shot 12-16” up - hold above bottom 12”. Dont leave your rods unattended!!!!!!! They hit like freight trains.
seriously tho, if you have the time (do an overnighter on ice!) you should go for burbot on Cedar - its 10 min away from footprint - they will be going off!
pm me if you want more info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fished it lots - at this time of year, i would go across the lake from the launch, or, if conditions wont allow, follow east shoreline north from launch, stay in depth where you can see BOTH gravel and weeds - usually 7-9ft. Be careful driving on east side north of launch, there are two springs along that shoreline
Use a minnow on a hook with split shot 12-16” up - hold above bottom 12”. Dont leave your rods unattended!!!!!!! They hit like freight trains.
seriously tho, if you have the time (do an overnighter on ice!) you should go for burbot on Cedar - its 10 min away from footprint - they will be going off!
pm me if you want more info.
Thank you!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a trout trip planned for March 19,20,21 out on foot print lake. First time out there in winter. Has anyone been out there recently that could give me some pointers? Hoping to catch my first master. Looking forward to it!
Dept of Hwys does NOT plow the parking lot. Usually someone locally donates time to do it,but it’s not always a given. Just an FYI. I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you get up there? Thought there was no travel to non residents above the 53rd?
Yea, there was no problem getting up there. No gates at all. Already alot of free standing water on top of the ice tho. I wouldn't give that lake much longer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts