Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the choices for buying fly fishing gear are pretty brutal in MB. Does anyone have recommendations of online retailers to order gear from?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking to buy a 8 wt rod/reel for bonefish fishing down south. Probably use that combo for smallmouth here.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah tough ask:) TBH !!! depending on where you are " down south" bonefish fly fishing can have different meanings. Many places they can top out at 3-4 lbs and others from 2 to 3 plus times that size . So while many folks suggest an 8 wt fly rod that can be overkill, an 8 wt is good for up to say 15- 20 lb fish, you could use it for cats on the Red. Generally the reason for the 8 wt for bonefish idea is that it allows you to also target other larger species of fish that you might also encounter in the same location without being under gunned. Or you are fishing for GIANT bonefish!!! So really you could consider a lighter outfit say 6 or 7 wt for the bonefish if you don't need the extra muscle where you are heading.
Bonefish fly fishing is a casting to target fish game , you see/spot the fish and cast and intice , which means you need to be able to deliver the flies accurately , delicately and quickly without a lot of commotion. It is a lot like fly fishing for spring carp in MB lakes if you want to practise , although our carp are lot bigger than bonefish:))
The most important part of the rod/reel/line equation to get all that working is the fly line. Luckily Rio and Sci Anglers and some others make Bonefish specific lines designed to punch flies to distance , accurately with minimal surface disturbance in lots of conditions including nasty winds on the flats!!.
Fly reels are really just line and backing holders with drags that very from effective to useless, that said any reel you buy should be saltwater rated. You jump in at the pricepoint and marketing hype you are comfortable with.
Rods need to be matched up to the line style you are using. For bonefish/sight fishing the lines are very weight forward designed and in order to deliver those line types quickly and also make change of direction casts very fast you want a very fast action rod. Most rods for that style of fishing are 9 ft plus and usually have a small extension of the handle below the reel to allow you some relief when fighting fish.
So where do you get this stuff ??- Orvis+Cabelas sell stuff that would work if you know what you are looking for. Why not find a tackle shop close to where you are heading and plan on buying a setup from them as they will have the local fishing figured out and have the appropriate gear you need to get going at a variety of pricepoints. They probably also will have good local flies and location/times advice!!.
For MB smallmouth unless you have a secret spot an 8wt setup is brutal overkill. Go to the FishinHole and pickup a 5 or 6wt rod and reel and a WF floating line and some backing and have a it!!

Hope that helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good question. I also need to buy some fishing waders. A friend of mine recommended simms tributary stockingfoot waders. I want to buy one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got setup for a salt fly fishing trip by ordering from manufacturers, amazon and bow valley troutfitters in Calgary online, and pacific angler in Vancouver in person. I went to Cuba for bones and tarpon, and ended up with a bunch of other stuff, and there are no shops down there. You gotta have everything.

Depends on budget, and if this is a one off trip or a long term investment. The 2 guys I went with brought 8 rods and 16 reels from 8-12 wt, whereas I had 2 8’s and a 10 which worked for everything but 100+ lb tarpon. I got a 12 wt for those now. They broke a number of $400 TFO’s early in the trip before they switched to sage salts, they’re all fixed on warranty now but we’re immediately sold as it took a good chunk of the quiver from the rest of the trip. Sage motive is a good mid priced salt rod, I’ve got a few Thomas and Thomas rods that I love But the cost is high. The Cuban guides swore by them and Winston.

Reels are more about price and durability, I had a reddington destroy itself over 4 months in salt, whereas an Abel that’s 5 years old looks like new for 3 times the cost. I usually fish salt 3-4 times a year, once in warm water so I tend to spend more than I would if I was just going on a single trip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been to Iron bow fly shop in Calgary but not Bow Valley. I'll check them out online.

This is my first time fly fishing down south but I imagine it will probably become a thing. We are going to Hawaii (fishing out of Honolulu). I really want to just target bonefish (I read "Body of Water" and thought I need to do this). I am getting a guide for one day and then hoping to try in on my own the rest of the time there.

Around $500 is what I what to spend on a fly rod. I have a #5 and #6. I have been wondering whether to get a #7 or #8. Leaning towards a #7 as I will probably get more use out of it here. I was looking at either the Sage motive or Sage foundation.

Ya Abel is well out of my pay-grade. I just bought a Lamson Waterworks Guru that I am hoping will hold up to the salt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah tough ask:) TBH !!! depending on where you are " down south" bonefish fly fishing can have different meanings. Many places they can top out at 3-4 lbs and others from 2 to 3 plus times that size . So while many folks suggest an 8 wt fly rod that can be overkill, an 8 wt is good for up to say 15- 20 lb fish, you could use it for cats on the Red. Generally the reason for the 8 wt for bonefish idea is that it allows you to also target other larger species of fish that you might also encounter in the same location without being under gunned. Or you are fishing for GIANT bonefish!!! So really you could consider a lighter outfit say 6 or 7 wt for the bonefish if you don't need the extra muscle where you are heading.
Bonefish fly fishing is a casting to target fish game , you see/spot the fish and cast and intice , which means you need to be able to deliver the flies accurately , delicately and quickly without a lot of commotion. It is a lot like fly fishing for spring carp in MB lakes if you want to practise , although our carp are lot bigger than bonefish:))
The most important part of the rod/reel/line equation to get all that working is the fly line. Luckily Rio and Sci Anglers and some others make Bonefish specific lines designed to punch flies to distance , accurately with minimal surface disturbance in lots of conditions including nasty winds on the flats!!.
Fly reels are really just line and backing holders with drags that very from effective to useless, that said any reel you buy should be saltwater rated. You jump in at the pricepoint and marketing hype you are comfortable with.
Rods need to be matched up to the line style you are using. For bonefish/sight fishing the lines are very weight forward designed and in order to deliver those line types quickly and also make change of direction casts very fast you want a very fast action rod. Most rods for that style of fishing are 9 ft plus and usually have a small extension of the handle below the reel to allow you some relief when fighting fish.
So where do you get this stuff ??- Orvis+Cabelas sell stuff that would work if you know what you are looking for. Why not find a tackle shop close to where you are heading and plan on buying a setup from them as they will have the local fishing figured out and have the appropriate gear you need to get going at a variety of pricepoints. They probably also will have good local flies and location/times advice!!.
For MB smallmouth unless you have a secret spot an 8wt setup is brutal overkill. Go to the FishinHole and pickup a 5 or 6wt rod and reel and a WF floating line and some backing and have a it!!

Hope that helps
Thanks MBflyguy!

Yes, I've heard that bonefish can be spooky. Looking at getting a bonefish specific fly line from Rio.

I really want to go there with at least one outfit ready to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hawaii has some big bones, like 10# plus. I’d rather be over gunned than under given the amount of broken rods I’ve seen. Either way, I’ve had no issue with those guys online, as well as pacangler shipping. Decide what you want and see how it goes. It’s so different than MB fishing that some outside expertise on the specific location is so important.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts