Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's everybody using for fluorocarbon leaders? I hoping to do more walleye fishing this summer. I'm planning on getting a spool but want to make sure I get the right stuff. What pound test is best for walleye? (Maybe the occasional pike) And is there a difference between the fluorocarbon leader material or do most people just use fluorocarbon line? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
What's everybody using for fluorocarbon leaders? I hoping to do more walleye fishing this summer. I'm planning on getting a spool but want to make sure I get the right stuff. What pound test is best for walleye? (Maybe the occasional pike) And is there a difference between the fluorocarbon leader material or do most people just use fluorocarbon line? Thanks.
Been using fluorocarbon leaders in clear water, in certain situations especially for a finicky bite, for a very long time now. It is said that leader material is more abrasion resistant than the line. I had been using the Berkely Vanish product for quite a while, I found the leader material too stiff, so switched over to using the Vanish line for leaders with no issues really. A few years ago switched to Yo-Zuri Top Knot leader material in Pink and find the performance of the product much better than Vanish and have been using it ever since. I use 8 or 10 lb for walleye, again depends on the conditions, the structure and the typical size of the species you're targeting.

http://yo-zuri.com/products/yo-zuri-topknot-leader-pink/

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I just found an unopened spool of Suffix 14lb test mono I had lying around. Would that be suitable? I know it probably wouldn't be as good, but if I keep an eye on it and replace the leader when it gets nicked would it suffice? Or would the 14lb be too thick for finicky walleye?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Make sure you get line marked 100% fluorocarbon. Some companies use a blend or add their own patented material or coating to it.

I don't use it in open water for Walleye, but I have used it for smallies in the Whiteshell. (10&12lb Sufix)
I do plan on using it next hardwater season for Greenbacks though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi I just recently heard of braided being used with fluorocarbon leader. Just wondering why the leader is so heavy? I'm used to using fluorocarbon 4-8 lb test and find that I have great feel with it. I've been out of the fishing circle for awhile now and I find this very interesting that braided line has more feel than fluorocarbon.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi I just recently heard of braided being used with fluorocarbon leader. Just wondering why the leader is so heavy? I'm used to using fluorocarbon 4-8 lb test and find that I have great feel with it. I've been out of the fishing circle for awhile now and I find this very interesting that braided line has more feel than fluorocarbon.

Why braided line has more feel than fluorocarbon - no stretch at all.

Why 3-4 feet fluorocarbon leader(real fluorocarbon) - line shy fish, and some stretch.

Why the fluorocarbon leader is so heavy- helps prevent bite offs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for that info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use approx 25' long flurocarbon leader tied to braid. I vary the test for different uses:

Ultralight rod: 10# suffix 832 braid/6# stren flurocarbon 25' leader.
Medium Rod: 20# suffix 832 braid/8# stren flurocarbon 25' leader.
Medium Rod (dirty duty Rod for weeds and junk) 30# spider wire stealth/10# stren flurocarbon 25' leader.

I tie the flurocarbon to the braid with a FG Knot. The blood knot is also a good option.

I like the Suffix Braid a lot, the Stren Flurocarbon is good too, but I will probably get Suffix Flurocarbon when my Stren runs out. I will also replace the Spiderwire with Suffix braid at some point.

Things I like about this set up:
- Get the best of both braid and flurocarbon, without having to deal with a whole reel full of flurocarbon. Low vis, a little stretch, backed by the braid which is strong with no stretch.
- with the 25' of flurocarbon you can cut and retie many times before having to tie on a new chunk of flurocarbon and your braid stays in good shape.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Honestly? I only use fluro leaders on my fly line. It seems a waste in 90% of our fishing situations here in the south. Most fish usually aren't all that line shy here. You could use bootlaces for leaders and still catch the fish in some waters. A regular mono leader will likely get the job done more often than not for less money and a little more stretch. (Manageable if you limit leader size to something reasonable). Often, I'll just tie lures directly to my braid. The odd time or two I'm chasing leader shy fish on my spinning gear, I'll just borrow a couple feet from my fly box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.