Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys just wondering after my flasher died this afternoon ..I’m curious what’s the longevity of a flasher battery.. It was full charged at 6 o’clock in the morning and by noon it was dead.. Is it time for a new battery or did the weather have anything to do with it Dying so fast..?? I should mention my battery is three years old.. Thanks tight lines..

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've got my 35 battery going on 10 years? and it still get 2 trips out of it

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Take it MB battery to test it. It may be getting weaker or you just need a bigger amp hr battery. Good idea to always carry a spare.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
The best love you can show a battery to ensure a healthy lifespan........is to charge it right after EVERY use (every use no matter how short), and charge it a few times during the storage period (if applicable), you want to ensure the battery doesn't stay in a discharged/partial discharged state where it starts to sulfate. A build up of sulfate on the plates shortens run time (because the battery can't charge fully anymore) and lifespan.

If you haven't done this, 3 years on a small SLA battery is pretty good! You don't say what type of charger, if it's the one that came with the unit with an idiot light (they are poor indicators of state of charge), the OEM chargers are terrible and don't do a great job, using/putting it on a smart charger (Noco G750 or G1100) is a better choice and one of those chargers may be able to restore your battery if it isn't too far gone.

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The best love you can show a battery to ensure a healthy lifespan........is to charge it right after EVERY use (every use no matter how short), and charge it a few times during the storage period (if applicable), you want to ensure the battery doesn't stay in a discharged/partial discharged state where it starts to sulfate. A build up of sulfate on the plates shortens run time (because the battery can't charge fully anymore) and lifespan.

If you haven't done this, 3 years on a small SLA battery is pretty good! You don't say what type of charger, if it's the one that came with the unit with an idiot light (they are poor indicators of state of charge), the OEM chargers are terrible and don't do a great job, using/putting it on a smart charger (Noco G750 or G1100) is a better choice and one of those chargers may be able to restore your battery if it isn't too far gone.

Thanks BGF its the basic Battery/Charger you get On a Ice 45.. It’s Charged right after each use .. $30 bucks i we’ll just got pick another one up ..

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
I always disconnect one battery post when I am not using it after I have fully recharged it. This is especially important during the long summer lay off. Your unit might have a very small power draw taking place which could be discharging it between outings. If you don't have a volt meter, get one or borrow one to see if it reaches a full charge. Should be showing a minimum of 12.5 volts when fully charged. Like BGF, I charge them after every use no matter how little. My batteries are at least 10 years old and still going strong. I use a Genius charger. No risk of overcharging or undercharging. I don't trust the ones that come with the unit.
One more thing to note is that these are gel cell batteries so unlike a regular lead core battery, if your battery completely discharges it will never take a charge again and can't be restored. They are the same batteries that are used in many home alarm systems.

·
Administrator
5,017 Posts
99 hook your battery up to a capacity tester. You can have a $&@" battery that will read full voltage but be useless. Based on what you said I bet if you do that you will be readying 40-60% when your charger is telling you it's fully charged. Your battery should last you about 5 years min. Check the date code on your battery. You might need to look it up online because some manufacturers use weird codes that might as well be hieroglyphics If your notnuse to reading them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts