Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone use for fishing the weeds for small mouth I've been using weight less senkos but wondering what other suggestions you guys have

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
Leeches beneath a bobber. Frog and mouse imitation floating lures. The old standbys Hula Popper and Jitterbug. Weed less jigs with either a lizard, crawfish or plastic worm trailer. And a big fat juicy night crawler will work too.

Use 25 or 30 pound braid too, so you can pull free of those weeds when you get hung up.....and, you will get hung up.

·
Registered
707 Posts
weightless senkos with braid floro 15. plenty of enough strength for me to yank out of where I bass. Been really good the last few days. Since I switched to Senkos so far off the dock in the last three days and about a total of 9 hours have hauled in a 19, three just shy of 18, about four 17 inch range and quite a few 10-14s. all have been from light to medium weed beds. probably would go with a weedless circle hook if I dared to go into the heavy cover.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
weightless senkos with braid floro 15. plenty of enough strength for me to yank out of where I bass. Been really good the last few days. Since I switched to Senkos so far off the dock in the last three days and about a total of 9 hours have hauled in a 19, three just shy of 18, about four 17 inch range and quite a few 10-14s. all have been from light to medium weed beds. probably would go with a weedless circle hook if I dared to go into the heavy cover.
Biggest reason I want something else then a weight less senko is so that I can actually cast with some distance I was doing a lot of topwater fishing when the wind is down and it's a blast

·
Registered
707 Posts
got ya. I was using a texas style rig for a while earlier this summer. it was ok but not as effective. I could cast it quite far as I use a bullet weight in front of the lure. you tuck the hook into the plastic craw or bush baby and have it just close to breaking through the plastic to make it weedles. I just found when smaller bass struck a majority of the time the hook wouldn't set but that was probably user error more than anything.

you probably already know what I mean and I don't mean to offend you but I put a link in case you don't.

http://www.wikihow.com/Texas-Rig-a-Plastic-Worm

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Yes, I was going to mention Texas rigs, but not sure if the weights for this are readily available here in MB. Also, back in Florida, we had a modified version called the Florida rig which was pretty much the same but the weight it firmly attached to the plastic work/ crawdad as this makes it less likely to snag.

For this type of fishing, your rod should have a very sensitive tip and at the same time a lot of backbone to ram the hook through the plastic and then the fish's mouth.

... brings back childhood memories...

http://ultimatefishingsite.net/florida-rig/

·
Registered
707 Posts
I like that set up. ^

picked up a st. Croix mojo bass of cabelas.ca last week. mxf one piece for a steal compared to buying down south. used it a few times so far and I have been very impressed with it thus far in terms of set and sensitivity.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like that set up. ^

picked up a st. Croix mojo bass of cabelas.ca last week. mxf one piece for a steal compared to buying down south. used it a few times so far and I have been very impressed with it thus far in terms of set and sensitivity.
I have a shimano Compre medium heavy extra fast by far the most sensitive rod I own even more so sensitive the my Compre ml I have

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have a shimano Compre medium heavy extra fast by far the most sensitive rod I own even more so sensitive the my Compre ml I have
that is a nice twig! just looked it up. spinner or casting style?

I tried to do the casting reel a few times but I just suck at the technique. my old man left me quite a few but he never taught me how to use them for casting.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
My medium heavy is a casting setup paired with either a caenan or curado I prefer my curado but if I'm throwing a pile of cranks it goes on my crucial if you cant tell im a shimano guy

·
Registered
707 Posts
the Caenan has a nice gear ratio. I have a Stradic that has a decent retrieval speed. maybe I better watch some youtube and see what I have for casting reels packed away in the basement lol.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
the Caenan has a nice gear ratio. I have a Stradic that has a decent retrieval speed. maybe I better watch some youtube and see what I have for casting reels packed away in the basement lol.
It's not as much as techniques with the casting it's more making sure the reel is set up right and you thumb the reel at the right time this is my first season and I plan on getting more when I can afford it just my preference

·
Registered
707 Posts
It's not as much as techniques with the casting it's more making sure the reel is set up right and you thumb the reel at the right time this is my first season and I plan on getting more when I can afford it just my preference
well I tell you what. I will take a look at what I have this weekend and send you a pm of what I have. I don't know if I can truly foresee me using them as I am stuck in my spinner ways......like an old man stuck in a 30 year old body ha. if your interested in anything I would probably part with it on the cheap.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
I've always started with spinnerbaits in the weeds... You can burn them fast over the tops of thick cabbage, slow roll them through lighter stuff, can cast them way back in pencil reeds and snake them through, they are a very versatile bait!!! Nearly snag less once your get the hang of it for each style of weeds too!!!

I like tandem blade baits, willowleaf with a Colorado up front, and almost always go with brass or copper blades... Skirt colours there is lots to choose from but, chartreuse, black and orange (or combo of all three) are good starting points for colours...

You'll want a rod with good backbone, I have a medium heavy Berkeley tactics spinnerbait rod I like, paired with a shimano cruxis and 40lb power pro to horse them out of the thick shit!!! If your fishing thick stuff your gonna want a reel with a higher gear ratio, or your wrists will be sore from turning the handle so fast!!! Keep the tip up and the spinnerbait up top, don't be scared to let the blades break the surface, but I have found a 'bulge' type look works best...

One thing to consider with spinnerbaits is that they are weak as far as baits go, they are gonna get messed up pulling fish from cover!!! Learn how to tune them and tweak them back into shape to get lots of life out of them!!!

When all else fails I will switch to a senko or jig set up, pitch the holes and pockets and pick apart the edges of the weeds... This isn't a bad idea after you've landed a few on the spinnerbaits to switch to a more subtle approach and pry as many fish out as you can!!!

Never been a fan of the "fishless" frogs and mouse imitations, but more likely operator error... Can never seem to get a good hook set with them...

Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
Patty...most fishermen miss strikes on surface lures because they strike at the visual explosion, instead of waiting to feel the strike. You have to wait that split second longer before setting the hook. When a fish strikes a surface lure, its mouth is wide open...have to wait for its mouth to close around the bait.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
I can stick them, it just seems like they throw those soft bodied top water baits designed for that slop real easy... It is like you stated most likely my technique!!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Now ..hear is a awesome tip on surface lures..like top frogs and soft top baits....like a live target lure. ..trim the stringy legs to half the factory length. ..and take pliers and bend the hooks out a wee bit from the body. ..this will help on hook sets...most service hits are from under the bait so any advantage you can add will help...for on average you will loose lots if bass on top frogs. ..

Maniac

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Patty, do you bend the hooks a bit from factory default? Without a barb and the hook being so close to the frog's body, it's sometimes difficult to get a good hookset with these types of lures.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xElHkHvUk0U[/ame]

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Patty, do you bend the hooks a bit from factory default? Without a barb and the hook being so close to the frog's body, it's sometimes difficult to get a good hookset with these types of lures. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xElHkHvUk0U
I've done all kinds of tweaks, never had consistant success with any of them... Those plastic frogs are not well known for hook up ability...if I'm top water, it's not usually in the thick shit, so I can throw a puppy and have no issues with losing fish... Generally in our neck of the woods, we don't have the slop and matted weed growth popular with southern largemouth style fishing...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts