Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a manitoba fishing license, can I fish on Lake of the Woods?
Left of the border you are fine, once you cross, you will need an Ontario Outdoor Card and License.

I get one for ONT camping every year. The outdoor card is good for a few years and your Fishing license is attached to it. You can do it all online and they will mail you the permanent card in a week or so. They also have daily/weekly license for fishing.

Much better system then MB.

Ecoregion Map World Product Azure

Reactions: btrain

·
Registered
25 Posts
What area of lake of the woods you talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that I do not know yet... but I want to catch some Muskie... so I am looking for a good fishing spot and place to camp... I assume the boat is a must in that places in order to catch something substantial...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lets say I am camping on Buffalo point (are there places to camp?). How would I know that I cross border with USA or Ontario once I am on water?
GPS (phone, handheld, boating).

I have seen wardens/rangers in Ontario on the water pulling boaters over.

It'll be up to you to know where you are if a warden or ranger stops you.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Lets say I am camping on Buffalo point (are there places to camp?). How would I know that I cross border with USA or Ontario once I am on water?
A chart map of LOTW will have the CAN / US border on it. You have no access to Ontario from Buffalo Bay unless you travel through US waters.

·
Administrator
1,528 Posts
If you want a musky you basically need an Ontario license. A Manitoba musky is near impossible at this point except for that one lake in the Duck Mountain Provincial Park which are a recent stocking so I wouldn't expect to much from there.

Waters like LOTW and Winnipeg River don't produce muskies in the Manitoba portion. For the cost of an Ontario license and a bit of extra gas you can have a very realistic chance at one in world class waters. The Ontario license opens up so many possibilities as well so it's very worth the cost.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
934 Posts
Just a word of advice. The Ontario program consists of an outdoors card valid for 3 years and a 1 year or 3 year fishing license can be purchased with it. Personally I have always bought the 3 year license so when the card expires, so does your license.

·
Registered
25 Posts
thank you all for your thoughts! maybe someone can also suggest nice inexpensive spots to camp? Prime target is a muskie. But if northern pike or walleye is an add on - that is an advantage.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
thank you all for your thoughts! maybe someone can also suggest nice inexpensive spots to camp? Prime target is a muskie. But if northern pike or walleye is an add on - that is an advantage.
If you have a boat, I would suggest Minaki. Walleye, muskie and bass are prime targets, but most boat to the different locations.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts