Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question regarding fishing on Border lakes. Such as those that border provinces like one that is in both Manitoba and Ontario.
Do you need a Ontario Fishing licence once your on the Ontario side? or is your Manitoba licence valid?
What about Lake of the Woods? if you happen to go on the U.S side do you need an American licence? Or does your Manitoba or Ontario licence Validate fishing?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
As far as I know as soon as you cross into and fish a different region you must possess a license for that area.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea it makes sence that you would need another licence for fishing in another jurisdiction, however how would you know when you are in Ontario if you started in Manitoba? Its not like there is a boundry marker out there. (yea you can use GPS I suppose but what did they do before GPS and not everyone has GPS)
There are multiple lakes that border both Manitoba and Ontario as well as Manitoba and Saskachewan. Perhaps there is a mutual understanding that in those lakes a licence from either province is valid in those lakes?
Or is it black and white. You are in Ontario now, you now need a Ontario licence. End of Storey.

·
Registered
626 Posts
As far as i know after reading the regs 10 months ago or so and having oldtimers disease the lakes that cross the border between Man, and Ont. as long as you have a license for one of the provinces you are OK.

G

·
I have heard but not confirmed that you it goes by Boat registration and license when on bordering provincial lakes.

However US/ONT you need to have both as well as a passport. This I know from personal experience.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys...
Also although I'm new to the forum I'm impressed by knowlege of the members here...Thanks!
Me and a few buddies are starting to plan a fishing trip this spring and we were thinking about going to one of the lakes bordering Ontario.
I have a Ontario licence but my friends dont..

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
There is a reciprocity agreement between MB and ON and MB and SK. By holding one province's license you can fish into the other province's part of that water body. However, you must fish that water body under the rules of the province for which your license pertains to. For example: High Lake can be fished throughout with either a MB or ON license. However, if all you have is a MB license you must abide by MB rules even if you are in the ON portion of the lake.

Please make sure to check on season opening and closing dates too! MB fishing on High Lake ends on March 31 so you can't fish it in April if all you have is a MB license. To fish High Lake in April you'll need an ON license. That's one of the things that you need to look out for.

If you are ever in doubt, CONTACT THE MANITOBA CONSERVATION DISTRICT OFFICE NEAREST TO THE WATER BODY IN QUESTION! There are probably local rules that many of us are unaware of.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have read that in the case of a lake boardering Canada and the United States. A Canadian confirmed that he is free to fish the whole lake. The lake he was refering to in this instance was Lake Metigoshe (Mitigoshe Lake) on the southwest corner of the turtle mountain provincial park. I have checked the lake on google earth and it appears that a small part of the lake is in Canada and a large part in the US. It would be pretty neat if this was true, but would the American's dept. of homeland security really let this happen?

·
Registered
766 Posts
BigDVO said:
I have read that in the case of a lake boardering Canada and the United States. A Canadian confirmed that he is free to fish the whole lake. The lake he was refering to in this instance was Lake Metigoshe (Mitigoshe Lake) on the southwest corner of the turtle mountain provincial park. I have checked the lake on google earth and it appears that a small part of the lake is in Canada and a large part in the US. It would be pretty neat if this was true, but would the American's dept. of homeland security really let this happen?
yes that is true, every word of it. it seems to have more canadian boats on the US part than US boats.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Really? That is awesome. I figured that there would be worries that it would be easier for people to enter the United States un-reported. This is a pretty neat rule IMO. It would be fun to experience sometime :)

·
Registered
766 Posts
if you have a lake house on the US side i think they ask you to cross at a border crossing, then drop back down to your house. things like this i would check out..
you don't want to be on the wrong side of those Homeland boys..no one has ever approached us on the water or on shore.(dock)

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
Why not call the Boissevain office of Man Con or the North Dakota game warden office nearest to Metigoshe? How far do you think you'll get with Homeland Security by telling them that you got your information from the internet?

·
Registered
766 Posts
i just called the US on this, US customs border control, i was told we can fish it but can not touch land, can boat all we want, don't exchange anything on the water with other boats (goods or people) he was very nice about it.. for $16 each we can get a permit/card to go on land though. supper ETC. i think that would be for the summer.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Its nice to know that something like fishing and boating in North America can come together as one in a case like this. Now call the American / Mexican boarder pretending your from Mexico and ask the same thing :lmao:

·
Registered
766 Posts
BigDVO said:
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Its nice to know that something like fishing and boating in North America can come together as one in a case like this. Now call the American / Mexican boarder pretending your from Mexico and ask the same thing :lmao:
FUNNY :lmao:

·
Registered
934 Posts
I know it's an old thread but I was inquiring about this subject and figured I would post this answer from 2018 regulations.

BORDER WATERS
Anglers who are on or in the immediate vicinity of lakes or rivers that cross
a Manitoba border may have only a Manitoba limit of fish.
Anglers may have either a Manitoba or Ontario Angling Licence (or be
exempt from holding one) to fish on all of Davidson Lake, Frances Lake,
Garner Lake, High Lake, Mantario Lake, Moar Lake and Ryerson Lake,
and either a Manitoba or Saskatchewan Angling Licence (or be exempt
from holding one) to fish on all of Lake of the Prairies upstream from
the Shellmouth Dam; only one licence is required.
Anglers who have an Ontario Angling Licence may fish on the Manitoba
portion of Artery Lake without a Manitoba Angling Licence.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts