Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is everyone's line of choice for ice fishing? Braids? mono?

I've always used mono lines but have now been using Power Pro ice for my ice fishing rigs with fluorocarbon leaders. not sure if Power Pro is the best for ice fishing, been using Power Pro also on my open water rods but have had a few failures, line breaking for no reason. I was thinking of trying Fireline Ice, anyone been using it?

or what are your favorites and why??

·
Banned
2,121 Posts
I run both in the winter. just started using power pro last year. The fireline ice is an awesome line. Never had any problems. Have had some minor issues with break offs with power pro. BTW power pro is cheap at walmart well atleast cheaper

G

·
I like this topic. One thing I have never been cheap with is Line and Hooks. And since this will probably be my first year out on the ice in a long time I am interested in some opinions.

·
Banned
2,212 Posts
I'm only a casual Hardwater guy, hope to do harder at it this year.
I have been using PowerPro Ice 8lb. with Trilene Cold Weather 8lb leader.

When your out in the open everything seems to freeze up.
Hope to have solved that with the purchase of a pop up and heater.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mono leader gives me piece of mind that the line is less visible to the fish

·
Registered
366 Posts
I use fireline crystal, i will usually tie right to the jig or lure for fishing walleye or pike, but for trout i will tie on a 18-20" flourocarbon leader.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i use power pro ice does well. in the tent no frezzing up but any line thats outside seems to frezze up to a point.another personal perfrence thing

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The flourocarbon leader helps with the fish seeing the line. I like to use a small swivel to attach to my power pro. Helps with line twist. As a side note I make my leader around 3ft. or the depth of the ice. When I see the swivel I know I am close to the hole and can be more careful about bumping the fish on the bottom of the hole.

Another tip is to use either a loop knot or a small clip on the lure. It facilitates changing lures and gives the lure more action.

As far as line goes I use either Power Pro or mono. If I am fishing outside in -30* everything has issues, including me(LOL).

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Suffix 832 30lb totally proved itself superior to PowerPro for open water in the first year I tried it... and I just discovered a Suffix 832 Ice Braid, so I spooled up in this lime green 30lb.... One use so far and it seams at least as limp, smooth, strong, etc, as the open water stuff and I fish heated all the time so can't comment as to ice collecting on it vs other lines. I always use about 5 feet of 17lb flouro tied on.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
I am a firm believer in braid for "almost" all open water applications however I switch back to mono exclusively on the ice. Braid is not at all abrasion resistant and leads to nicks and break offs plus it freezes up terribly. I use 8 lbs Trilene xl or Cajun ice. The Cajun tangles and has lots of memory but is tough, Trilene xl is limp but could be a bit tougher. I still experiment with different mono lines. I always have a 1 - 2 ft, 12-14 lb Berkley 100% fluorocarbon leader tied on with a tiny swivel like Lee does along with a small snap for quick lure changes. Jigs I tie on directly, no snap. The swivel helps with line twist and the floro gives it a little extra toughness and abrasion resistance where it counts not to mention it's invisibility under water.

for tip-up line I am not an expert but I use 80lbs test braid, easy on the hands and tied directly to a steel leader...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Anyone going to try berkley nanofil on the ice? I've got one rod spooled up with 10lB which is equal to 4lb test mono diameter. Nanofil feels slick and might repel good ol' H20. Time will tell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts