Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy yet another spool of line for my reel but this time for crappie. Recently bought nanofil suggested to me by a scheels worker and I must say, it was the worst buy yet. Lost almost 150 yards of it on snags and fish within a month... I need something that can last me for crappie and the odd pike.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Almost forgot, that I need it to cast a 1/8 ounce jig a good distance out since I fish from shore.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Yes with nanofil your gonna want to go a few pounds higher break strength than you would normally use with Monofilament or fluorocarbon lines... To put this in perspective, I used to run 8-10lb mono on my spinning gear, I now run 12lb and 14lb nanofil on those same setups... You get better knot strength with the higher break strength, as well as the ability to put some pressure on when needed... Plus Nano is nearly zero stretch, the sensitivity is amazing with it!!! Nano seems to cast smoother an farther for me compared to say 832 with no wind knots either... I would encourage you to give the nanofil another shot, or if you can find the Suffix Nanobraid it might be worth checking out too!!!

Curious as to how you went through that much line that quick??? Shoot me a PM if you want some help with Nano!!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was using 6lb since I figured that's all I was gonna need for 6-9 inch crappies, but the funny thing is, whenever it would snap, it always snapped at the middle of the line, not the knot, although I did have issues with the line slipping threw my knot and losing a good bit of money in jigs.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Okay, 6lb explains a lot!!! try 10 or 12lb for your situation... In the lower break strengths nano is a bitch to tie and does some weird shit when it comes to breaking... But try 10 or 12 like I said and you'll be much happier I am sure!!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will give it another shot, since I like the casting distance and sensitivity. Now the main thing, does cabelas sell it? Or who all sells it?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes with nanofil your gonna want to go a few pounds higher break strength than you would normally use with Monofilament or fluorocarbon lines... To put this in perspective, I used to run 8-10lb mono on my spinning gear, I now run 12lb and 14lb nanofil on those same setups... You get better knot strength with the higher break strength, as well as the ability to put some pressure on when needed... Plus Nano is nearly zero stretch, the sensitivity is amazing with it!!! Nano seems to cast smoother an farther for me compared to say 832 with no wind knots either... I would encourage you to give the nanofil another shot, or if you can find the Suffix Nanobraid it might be worth checking out too!!!

Curious as to how you went through that much line that quick??? Shoot me a PM if you want some help with Nano!!!
This is VERY good information. In the past I tried Nanofil in either 6 or 8 lb test. I was so disappointed with the same performance issues you are having that I posted a bit of a rant on MFF saying save your money and don't buy it. Shortly thereafter, I got the same advice as you are getting now about going to a heavier weight Nanofil. 12 lb moss green Nanofil is what I currently have spooled on my three spinning rigs. Cant believe the performance difference,,,its like two totally different lines. As for the knot (I am a palomar guy), try the double palomar. Hasn't slipped on me yet.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
For nano knots I do this.... Through the eye, 7 wraps, back though the eye and then through the loop twice... I had issues with slipping knots, and that is what I find the easiest for me to tie... Although, I have been playing with polomar knots and surprisingly, it smells quite well too!!!

Suffix has a similar product (I think) that I've only heard about, called nanobraid... I haven't seen it on shelves up here yet, but I will be trying it as well, it may be my slip bobber setup solution, but that's for another topic!!!

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
One of my Crappie rods is about the only one I use mono on. 2lb is good for Slabs

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
My go to knot for Nanofil and other superlines is a double Trilene knot. A double Palomar knot is good too. For attaching fluoro leaders, the double-Albright knot is hard to beat. I've had uni-knots fail one too many times for my liking. Nanofil is very slick, extra care with knots is a must. Doubling existing knot types is the way to go.

Nanofil doesn't have the extreme break strength that other superlines do, especially in lower tests. My lone foray with 8lb Nanofil was a disaster. 10 lb Nanofil though is my favourite line ever.

Other long cast option are Power Pro original and Power Pro Superslick in 8-10 lb test. Suffix 832 has insane casting distances, but the whip-knots and tangles are not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My go to knot for Nanofil and other superlines is a double Trilene knot. A double Palomar knot is good too. For attaching fluoro leaders, the double-Albright knot is hard to beat. I've had uni-knots fail one too many times for my liking. Nanofil is very slick, extra care with knots is a must. Doubling existing knot types is the way to go.

Nanofil doesn't have the extreme break strength that other superlines do, especially in lower tests. My lone foray with 8lb Nanofil was a disaster. 10 lb Nanofil though is my favourite line ever.

Other long cast option are Power Pro original and Power Pro Superslick in 8-10 lb test. Suffix 832 has insane casting distances, but the whip-knots and tangles are not worth it IMO.
Never hear of a double trilene knot......is there so place a guy can see it tied?.....on YouTube or?....

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I found this link which describes it, though I skip step 5. Looking through the knot guides it appears it's actually called the Power knot. Double-Trilene refers to yet another knot type. I've always called what I use double-Trilene because it's basically doubling the line for the Trilene knot and skipping forming the loop at the terminal tackle end.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21350

·
Banned
5,260 Posts
My go to knot for Nanofil and other superlines is a double Trilene knot. A double Palomar knot is good too. For attaching fluoro leaders, the double-Albright knot is hard to beat. I've had uni-knots fail one too many times for my liking. Nanofil is very slick, extra care with knots is a must. Doubling existing knot types is the way to go. Nanofil doesn't have the extreme break strength that other superlines do, especially in lower tests. My lone foray with 8lb Nanofil was a disaster. 10 lb Nanofil though is my favourite line ever. Other long cast option are Power Pro original and Power Pro Superslick in 8-10 lb test. Suffix 832 has insane casting distances, but the whip-knots and tangles are not worth it IMO.
I got a spool of X-50 fluro from cabelas. Spooled up yesterday, puts nano to shame. You should look into it as an option too.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I got a spool of X-50 fluro from cabelas. Spooled up yesterday, puts nano to shame. You should look into it as an option too.
I'd be curious enough to try it for tying spinner and slip-bobber rigs. My foray into spooling Trilene XL Fluoro was a disaster. So many tangles that I only use it for tying rigs.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I should have mentioned, the new reformulated Berkley Ironsilk is an awesome line for casting distance if you are more inclined to use mono. I use it as my slip-bobber line, and it's great as an ice fishing line as the ice buildup slips right off it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts