Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well sort of. I have ice fished before but haven't done it for around 16 years. I am going to be getting a portable but want to pick the brains of the ice fishers on here about an auger. I have looked through previous posts and it seems that the 10 inch is the way to go. Seeing that I'm just getting back into it and probably won't be doing a ton of it, I was looking at grabbing one of the cheaper Eskimo 8 inch augers. I guess I'm just looking for feedback from anyone that has one. Like I said I won't be doing a lot of fishing so I kind of want to do this on the cheap. On the other hand, I don't want to get into something wishing I would have spent a little more and got something a little better.

Any info anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
well this is kind of the Ford/Chevy/Dodge thing, you will get all kinds of opinions on what's best but I will give you as honest an opinion as I can. I've had many augers from Jiffys, Eskimos and now run a Strikemaster. I can't say the Strikemaster is the best because I've only had it for one season but I really do like it, it's the Pro Lazer with 10" auger. It's light, starts good and drills holes like there's no tomorrow. On the down side, it's fairly expensive. I had 2 Jiffys and both were heavy, clumsy starters and never ran just right, got rid of both and will never get another. By far the best I had was an Eskimo Barracuda in an 8" auger. Had it for 12 years and one reason I bought it was because it had the same type of blades as the Strikemaster, twin turbo blades. In the 12 years I owned that auger, I put a carb kit in (my fault for leaving old gas)and had the blades sharpened once, and I do lots of fishing. The thing always started first or second pull. I should have kept it for a spare but sold it to get a 10" auger. As a newbie, you really can't go wrong with the new Eskimos, they are affordable and good little units. I know quite a few guys who have them and they all start first pull. The cheapest is the Stingray but only 33cc's, it's ok but you may not like the speed it cuts. I would go up to the next model, the Mako at 43cc's. My neighbor has one and it's an awesome unit, again starts first pull every time. You don't mention where and what specie you will be targeting but if you plan on doing any fishing on Lakw Wpg for monster walleyes, don't hesitate, get a 10". Hope this helps on your decision.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch Tinman. I was actually looking at the 43cc Mako. As for species I'm not really fussy. It's more of a "get out with my son" type of outing and will probably spend most of the time closer to Winnipeg. I figured I was going to approach it the same way I did with cats last year. Start cheaper then upgrade as required. I just didn't want to head out and end up cursing my decision every time I tried to drill a hole. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
I'm buying my first auger this year... Eskimo 51cc 10". I've been told unless you want to dish out big bucks on a Strikemaster or Husky then an Eskimo is the next best thing

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Harpz said:
I'm buying my first auger this year... Eskimo 51cc 10". I've been told unless you want to dish out big bucks on a Strikemaster or Husky then an Eskimo is the next best thing
if you're going 10", don't make the mistake of going with too small of an engine, go with the 71cc

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the kind of info I was looking for. I was thinking of going 10" with the Mako, but wasn't sure the 43cc would have enough jam. Pretty much leaning towards the Mako with the 8" cut.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Tinman said:
Harpz said:
if you're going 10", don't make the mistake of going with too small of an engine, go with the 71cc
There will always be something bigger & better... The 51cc is already my upgrade from the 43cc lol... As much as I'd love to go with the 71cc it's just not in this years budget.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Boltsfan said:
Harps, did you have the Mako 43cc and if so how did you like it?
No I was going to buy the Mako but because I wanted a 10" hole I decided to upgrade my choice to the 51cc Shark

·
Banned
2,121 Posts
ill be 100% honest.. if you wanna spend a grand buy a husky. if you want what you say you want. check out walmart canadian tire or costco. theres brand new augers for about 300. they will all be roughly the same quality, motor size and auger size.. 10" isnt a must but if you fish enough its worth the price. just be thankfull you dont have to hand drill! good luck out there

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
MNTMAN said:
Guys....I have the Eski Shark 51....great unit!
I only had one time in 3 years I have owned it that I had to pull it more than 2 times to start it! 3 feet of ice and it rips thru there in 2o seconds! Sure the 71 is 3 1/2 horse power but fro the price the 51 is the way to go!
ENJOY!! :ice:
Do you have an 8" or 10" auger?

·
Banned
2,121 Posts
Harpz said:
Do most of you guys add an extension to your augers?

Yes, you need one a few months into winter. I have an 20 inch extension and Ive not been able to hit water in some places. I dont put it on till late February tho.

correction. You dont need one, but as stated with one its even hard to drill holes. thankfully the red should be awesome this year and it doesnt freeze as thick.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Harpz said:
MNTMAN said:
Guys....I have the Eski Shark 51....great unit!
I only had one time in 3 years I have owned it that I had to pull it more than 2 times to start it! 3 feet of ice and it rips thru there in 2o seconds! Sure the 71 is 3 1/2 horse power but fro the price the 51 is the way to go!
ENJOY!! :ice:
Do you have an 8" or 10" auger?
10" got it from Pro Am, never had a problem and only sharpened the blades once! Gotto get em sharpened for this season because of drilling holes at Lockport this past March!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone for all the info. Was in the process of pricing out augers and turns out a guy I work with has one and he's going to lend it to me. He doesn't fish that often so he said I could borrow it this year. This way I won't be out the cost of an auger, go out once and decide ice fishing isn't for me. If it turns out that I'll be doing a lot of it I can always go out and buy one.

Shelter and heater are bought but got those cheap enough that if I end up selling them I won't be out that much. Now just have to wait for the ice to get here and start fishing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
All this talk about needing a 10" auger, in reality you probably wont catch anything that you cant squeeze thru a 8" hole.With the bigger hole a fish can turn around and power dive- often puling the hooks free. Less chance of that with the smaller hole.My largest lake trout thru the ice, a 38" laker, came thru an 8" hole with no problems.Ive had 40" northerns and 33" walleye come out the smaller hole.This leaves you with more less expensive options for augers.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
laughing loon said:
All this talk about needing a 10" auger, in reality you probably wont catch anything that you cant squeeze thru a 8" hole.With the bigger hole a fish can turn around and power dive- often puling the hooks free. Less chance of that with the smaller hole.My largest lake trout thru the ice, a 38" laker, came thru an 8" hole with no problems.Ive had 40" northerns and 33" walleye come out the smaller hole.This leaves you with more less expensive options for augers.
it's not so much a need than a want. I've had both and I don't think I'd ever go back to 8", a 10" hole makes it a lot easier for the fish to turn in.....it's like everything else....who needs an ice 55 when a 35 will do, who needs a 4x4 truck when a 2 wheel drive will work, who needs a $100 reel when a $15 walmart reel will work.....it's just a matter of preference and wanting something a little better

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with the "want' vesus "need" but dont see a 10" being better just because it was bigger. I have owned Jiffys, Eskimos and Strikemasters- the best I have had was an 8" Lazer Mag. Lighter than the others, cut like a hot knife thru butter and drilled at least 500 holes without an issue.Sold it and bought a 10" Jiffy- cranky in extreme cold,heavy as hell way slower than that Lazer.Next auger is gonna be a Husky, heard nothing but good about those units.But everyone has their preferance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts