Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished out of the west side today. The trail around the Salamonia has some ridges on it. There was a little slush too. When I went over them today they were closed. If your going out that way stop and check, it looks nasty.

Fished from the mouth east and did well. 3 guest caught 4 fish over 29"with one of them 33". As usual rattle baits were the ticket with some lookers taking a small jig as a throwbck lure. Fish were in 15ft of water from the top. Bite slowed down around 2:00 for us.

Attachments

G

·
The World Record for Ice walleyes is like only 33" (or at least some youtube video with an official looking certificate at the end says so)...sounds like you guys crushed it 3 times over, unless those 39ers are pike :ice:

[youtube:3l77hn98]E64Hu1bxieA[/youtube:3l77hn98]

If you regulars on lake Get larger than 33" you may want to see about making those catches official and maybe get a world record out of the deal :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Omnimous said:
The World Record for Ice walleyes is like only 33" (or at least some youtube video with an official looking certificate at the end says so)...sounds like you guys crushed it 3 times over, unless those 39ers are pike.

I believe Lee meant to say 29"....

G

·
I assumed that on the "Other" site one time and I had a rush of people confirm 39'' so now I don't second guess...of course this time you're probably right.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am sure the World record is a lot more than 33"-34". I have caught them up to 35".

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank God for th edit button. It is 4 over 29"with the one over 33". Thanks for catching my mistake.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
way to go Lee, I'm sure your guests had a good day and very happy with their catch

G

·
Hey Lee is it possible that you're so used to catching huge walleye that you assume that the record must be bigger? From what I've found from following this site and others is that Lake Winnipeg has the biggest Walleye that you can find in the world, give or take, and if ten years ago hardly anyone was fishing LW in winter then it is very possible that no one has tried to register the biggest of the big because it's just another fat walleye. I thought I read about a 36" walleye caught at a tourny on the red or something one day...that is absolutely world class but I don't think he registered it in any way. Big fish might be the norm for you and yours but the rest of the fishing world would be shaken by 35ers through the Ice. I guess it's also possible that people have tried to claim such a prize but haven't been able to prove it (on camera, lots of witnesses, etc.)

I found this link from last fall http://outdoorcanada.ca/15416/blogs/on-the-water-online/world-record-walleye

From the sounds of it you're damn good at your job so allow me to butt out now :-D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No worries Omnimous, I read the blog and stand corrected. I just assumed the record is bigger. There are lots of anglers who have released WR walleyes from Lake Winnipeg. I have released a few bigger than that! Damn! We should make it a thing to get the record for Lake Winnipeg. Lets make it a MFF thing.

Good catch!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Here's from Wikipedia on Walleye record size (paraphrased):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walleye
The maximum recorded size for the fish is 107 cm (42 in) in length and 11.3 kilograms (25 lb) in weight.

On January 4, 2005, Father Mariusz Zajac from Carrot River caught an 18.30 lb (8.30 kg) walleye while ice fishing on Tobin Lake. This walleye stands as the world record for ice fishing and had a girth of 22.5 in (57 cm) and was 36.5 in (93 cm) in length

·
Banned
1,544 Posts
Did all the big ones come from one spot? Or were you on the move? I'm sure that record won't take long to break now that people know about it!
I believe it is trophyhunter who's avatar is a massive lw eye!

·
Banned
492 Posts
Divine intervention is hard to beat... the priest is the record holder that has been reported. I will bet there has been bigger fish iced that were not reported.

Those are some nice fatties that makes guests very happy and proud. Congrats on the success.

Any pictures of the 35"er??? That is a true monster sized fish that would be great to see.

The other thing about world records is, they are sometimes line class records... big fish/light line.

Trohyhunter's fish was a real tank and a true trophy fish!!! The girth was incredible, but I don't think it was a 35"er. Is he on here?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No picture of a 35" for me, those were caught back a few years ago before I took a camera out with me .

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2 big fish were caught at one spot and 2 more at another. We had quite a few over fish too. It was hard for the guys to get the right size fish for a meal at home.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Awesome Fish lee way to go...did they get any video of that 33 incher.

that "record walleye" in the youtube video above is the world record "catch and release walleye" while ice fishing I believe.. :lol: Not sure what steps you have to take to claim it, picture, video? not sure but it is NOT the world record walleye....and many have caught bigger "catch and release walleyes" but not claimed it...

Caught a ridiculously fat 32 incher last year that we estimated at 15 lbs or more and that 33 in the video was 14.5lbs. The one Lee's guest caught today looks like it has to be in that 15 lbs or more range

It is unreal the fishery we have in our back yard....AWESOME! I love Manitoba....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts