Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, going to try some stocked trout fishing this weekend (weather and Ice thickness dependent). Last 3 times I've went out they have seemed to completely ignore my dead sticks and everything I've caught has been on active lure. Not complaining but wondering if I should switch it up... I've heard little pieces of shrimp work. Currently rocking trout dough. Let me know what you guys think.

· Administrator
1,557 Posts
Depends where you're going but if it's legal shrimp is my preferred bait. Small minnows work as well.

I highly recommend investing in a jawjacker when fishing with bait. It instantly sets the hook preventing the fish from either spitting the bait or swallowing. I just ball a piece of shrimp around a small treble and I've never had a trout swallow the hook with it.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,023 Posts
Minnows when allowed have always caught me fish. Trout paste is hit and miss but usually works.
Trout are funny. What works one day might not work the next.

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, fascinating theory about the brown paste I'm sure it holds some validity I might try and get my hands on that. Going to use it as well as shrimp and see what bites! I've wanted to get a jaw jacker as well specifically for stocked trout but both of my rods are under 30 inch and I'm a little worried that's too short for that apparatus but let me know otherwise. Weather permitting me and my homie will try Lyons, McHugh, and Camp in the whiteshell.

· Administrator
1,557 Posts
Thanks guys, fascinating theory about the brown paste I'm sure it holds some validity I might try and get my hands on that. Going to use it as well as shrimp and see what bites! I've wanted to get a jaw jacker as well specifically for stocked trout but both of my rods are under 30 inch and I'm a little worried that's too short for that apparatus but let me know otherwise. Weather permitting me and my homie will try Lyons, McHugh, and Camp in the whiteshell.
30" is perfect for length.

In fact I encourage people to buy cheap rods dedicated to jawjacking. I personally think that rods aren't meant to be bent for long periods of time. Fancy graphite rods can't really take the abuse anyways.

Also McHugh is an artificial only lake, keep that in mind.

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
30" is perfect for length.

In fact I encourage people to buy cheap rods dedicated to jawjacking. I personally think that rods aren't meant to be bent for long periods of time. Fancy graphite rods can't really take the abuse anyways.

Also McHugh is an artificial only lake, keep that in mind.

Great catch crimson I double checked the anglers guide and your 100% right about mchugh, Looks like only flies and lures.

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve had pretty good luck on Williams wobbler spoons. I wouldn’t say I’m consistent at catching but when they’re biting, it’s that over anything else
From what I've seen a flash and wobble is more important to these trout than a rattle or glow, that may be worth adding to the arsenal!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.