Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new to Manitoba, the forum and catfishing and was wondering if you eat what you catch or is it all catch and release? If you eat them what is your favorite recipe.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
I have tried smoked catfish from Gimli fish market and it was so oily that I squezed the oil out into my truck engine! JK
It was very oily so I wouldnt try it again! Like Donovan said there are many other species that you can eat that taste good!
Happy fishing and make sure that you check the regulations b4 you head out so you dont get into any trouble! I you need a question answered just as us here at MFF!

Take care and happy fishing!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MNTMAN said:
I have tried smoked catfish from Gimli fish market and it was so oily that I squezed the oil out into my truck engine! JK
It was very oily so I wouldnt try it again! Like Donovan said there are many other species that you can eat that taste good!
Happy fishing and make sure that you check the regulations b4 you head out so you dont get into any trouble! I you need a question answered just as us here at MFF!

Take care and happy fishing!
Thanks for that MNTMAN, maybe I will just stick with the other species that I am already familiar with.

G

·
I have eaten catfish when I was down south. Specially in the Cajun areas the deep fry it. It is actually pretty good. However as Donovan Pointed out you can't keep anything over 24" here in Manitoba and to be perfectly honest catching a CatFish that is Under 24" is actually pretty hard. AVG catfish size coming out of the river is 30"-35" Infact in my many years of cat fishing our water systems I may have only landed 4 or 5 catfish that are under the 24" mark. Maybe I should start posting pics of the little guys they are not seen as much and seem to be more allusive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thats some impressive cats on your profile Nvisible
I don't know if I could manhandle something that size, they are darn near as big as I am.
Makes one wonder where the small ones hang out.
They got to be out there somewhere.
If they are like most species there should be a hundred small ones for every big one unless they are food for the pickerel or if we have to be politically correct I should say Walleye.

·
Banned
64 Posts
nice to see all of the experts who DONT catch small catfish......BS....the nice fish around 18 to 20 inches are perfect for the bbq.....after filleting, load up some fresh salsa and wrap em in foil....bbq to perfection.....and test your taste buds....Grump :shock:

G

·
That actually sounds pretty good.

To your expert comment. Not sure how much you get out for Cats. But you are really doing something to catch a cat under 24". It is truly the one species where the norm just does not apply. You catch way more fish over the legal size then under.

·
Banned
23 Posts
I actually agree. I only started targeting catfish last year and I have never landed one under 24" Yet have only landed 3 masters in the species thus far. Tons at 30"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad you waded in on this one Grumps
Any idea what habbitat the smaller ones prefer as it sounds like they don't hang with the big cats.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have caught many smaller ones by the north perimeter and just before the locks down from skinners. we fish in the channel at the beggining where the boats gom through.

·
Banned
64 Posts
upstream from the locks...fished many a day at my brother inlaws about 8kms from Lockport....EOM after a heavy influx of freshwater from torrential summer downpours....seems to bring in the smaller ones (as well as the Sumos from the lake)...hope nobody took it too hard, but the opportunity for tablefare is out there, as long as you arent cherry-picking at the Locks...Grump

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for that Grumps
For all those experts out there I did a little research and learned some interesting things about the distribution of catfish in manitoba
Check it out at this link, copy and past the whole thing and hope it works.
Thanks again for the info Grumps and hope to see you out there sometime next year when the low water comes again and I qualify for my free seniors licence.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=VyzuWke ... ba&f=false

G

·
Thanks for the link.

This topic had me doing some thinking yesterday about smaller catfish. After I posted on this topic about how it harder to find smaller catfish I got a call from a buddy. Who does alot of lake fishing and corrected me on a few things.

So let me justify my opinion. I personally find it hard to land small catfish. I feel that most people that go out and target catfish also find it hard to land smaller catfish. On the back of this statement I like most when targeting catfish go out and do so with Jumbo Shrimp, or Large pieces of Cut Bait this in itself could be why we see such small numbers of smaller catfish. I imagine it is hard for a 20" catfish to hammer down on a piece of gold eye that is 3-4" in size. As well as when most of us target catfish we are going to locations we know that have high populations of large catfish such as the red river. I suppose if I wanted to land smaller catfish my ideal place would be streams and creeks and probably the lakes. The juvenile catfish uses these bodies of water during a young age to provide shelter from larger predators that roam our waters. I would also probably using smaller bait choices such as crawlers or smaller shrimp.

According to my buddy who does alot of Open water and Shore fishing on the lake. He lives in Matlock so I assume that area. You can catch under 24" catfish pretty effortlessly.

·
Banned
64 Posts
really appreciate you posting this valuable information. and exactly the point I was trying to make....presentation...thanks

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I have caught small cats on smaller streams and rivers in Manitoba not to mention on the Red itself and using the same kind of baits and hooks I use for big cats. I guess the question to me is why bother? to each their own I guess but as I am so frequently reminded by my american friends, we are blessed to have a multitude of world class fisheries out our back door, as much walleye, crappie, and trout ect that we could want to eat if we put the effort into catching them. why would someone up here even want to eat a cat? I am sure any fish with a good recipie can taste good. To me fishing for small cats in southern Manitoba would be like going up north on a world class fly in trip and targeting hammer handles? but as I said to each their own. It does pass the time and I guess and any fishing is better than no fishing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I dont target small cats or eat them. But if someone is looking for a place to target small cats (out of a clean river) try the Manigotagan river. I have spent many days jigging for walleyes in 30 feet of water and have had a blast catching smaller cats one after the other with the occasional big fish. Jigging with worms have always out produced minnows for us if you want small cats.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Big B Muskies said:
I dont target small cats or eat them. But if someone is looking for a place to target small cats (out of a clean river) try the Manigotagan river. I have spent many days jigging for walleyes in 30 feet of water and have had a blast catching smaller cats one after the other with the occasional big fish. Jigging with worms have always out produced minnows for us if you want small cats.

Good luck!
Thanks for the information on a good place to target smaller cats.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts