Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Hit the Red yesterday at 7 am with an old friend, was a cool one out -4C dock was a bloody skating rink. Yes I think its safe to say the greens are in. Headed South at first caught several greenbacks 1 real chunky 26 ran into 2 chaps that caught a 24 and 29 at the locks.
Walleye bite died off Sauger in there place got old so we headed for the cut. Bobbed around there for a while no current really and no bites. Half a dozen boats around us and no nets going out so we headed back towards Netley stopping to fish several spots, odd sauger nothing to get excited about.
Started working our way back to Selkirk dock feeling bad at this point for buddy who has caught 1 hammer handle and a fat bullhead to my 14 fish 8 Walleye day. All of a sudden he has a fish on reeling away, reeling reeling reeling I'm like Christ is your line even coming in? He has a new Ugly stick (Hockey stick strength) so its barely bending. After about 4 or 5 minutes of this she pops to the surface. We gasp and say several swear words then make a plan to land it. For sure Master fight her another minute and he lands his first master ever. Fat 29, Buddy is totally pumped and now I am not so sorry for him anymore. LOL
Most of our boast worthy catches in 12 - 16 feet range, water was 47.3 F Yellow rattle jigs or chartreuse seemed to be the trick yesterday. We did feed a hell of a lot of Sauger I should mention. Lots of them still around. 1 Master Walter and a Master bullhead for Buddy, Master Bullhead number 5 for me. 12 inchs is too short. easy to catch one. Should be 15 for a Master I think.
Left water at 2:45 Wicked day came home and the Jets thumped the Ducks while I enjoyed a wicked steak and a rye. A + day

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thanks for the report! Have others struggled at the Cut? I was planning to take my neighbour there for his first shot at walleye, but is farther south a better option?

I hit the Cut last weekend with a couple of friends and did very well (multi 20+ fish, biggest 28.5”), but maybe they moved on?

·
Banned
19 Posts
Has anyone caught any greenbacks on the red yet? I thought the run would be starting by now.
Not much reason (I think) for the Walters to head up into the RR. No flow to speak of. Extremely low water levels. Hot hot summer = hot waters.

Lots of Green in the lake though. At least there was. Unfortunately for some the lake might be the place or further down river close to the lake.

Sure some will disagree and that’s okay. It’s all opinions anyway when predicting the tomorrow days.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Not much reason (I think) for the Walters to head up into the RR. No flow to speak of. Extremely low water levels. Hot hot summer = hot waters.

Lots of Green in the lake though. At least there was. Unfortunately for some the lake might be the place or further down river close to the lake.

Sure some will disagree and that’s okay. It’s all opinions anyway when predicting the tomorrow days.
You never fished the fall walleye run on the red river before? If not, you may want to give it a try. I do it every October.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Hit the red again Saturday with old buddy and Wpg99 in tow. Left dock at 7:05 still dark out, beautiful morning river was like glass. Started at my usual spot and 99 put on a clinic. Guy had 4 wallys in the boat before I even got my first bite and this went on the entire day. Many a Walter caught biggest 27 (Wpg99) Most (Wpg99) It was unreal. He was on fire yesterday surprised there were not more boats out. Left water at 3 pm fishing is amazing right now North or south the greens are around. Get on it while its good

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what are people you using for bait/tackle for shore fishing for walleye near Netley?

I may take Friday (supposed to be somewhat arm) off and try some fishing from shore up there. I've never been there and haven't had much luck on the Assiniboine the last few times out.

As odd as this may sound from a Manitoba, I've never targeted Walleye.

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I like to use a Jack fish rig, they are stronger and if you catch a Silver Bass or Drum they are notorious for swallowing hooks if you use a pick rig. 9 out of 10 times its toast if hook is deeply swallowed. Jack fish rigs they cant swallow the hook deep because its steel and not mono the hook is connected to. Dont get me wrong Pic rigs work but not so much for the Drum/Bass gang. Just something I picked up from years of shore fishing Selkirk dock before I got a boat. Good luck fishing has been great last couple of weeks.

Reactions: BravoDeltaRomeo

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks @lirwin4 and @Walleye Tracker

I try and not cut hook the fish as I am 100% catch and release and have some of those Jack Rigs in my tackle box.

I'll probably use a combination of Jack Rigs and Carolina Rigs with a variety of baits (minnows as suggested, night crawlers and shrimp).

Hopefully I can make it out, catch a few and and the season on a strong note.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also hit Red with cuzin today. Headed just past float plane base by 930...nice 19" greenie by 932. Cousin pulled in 24" & 22" an hour or so later...then 60+ sauger from FPB to BTN for next 3 hrs til we retuned close to FPB for another 20 & 21" greenie before calling it a day at 330 ish. Mooneye jigs with salty/Gulp minnow (too much work putting on salty after every nibble) worked best.
Caught my last 2 greens on 3" Gulp minnows.
First year with a boat so trying to transfer icefishing to late fall skills! Lol

Had tried the cut 2 weeks ago with only 1 20" to show for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
my wife and I are headed for the red tomorrow for one last taste of the walleye run. Have had decent succes with jig and minnow off the boat. Curious to hear what you masters are preferring for tackle?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hit the river yesterday as well with two buddies. Went past the cut to the fork and slowly worked out way back fishing. It was brutally slow for us and looked that way for others. Our last spot was by far the best spot of the day and was the closest to Selkirk park launch. Buddy said looks like we should of started here instead of downstream and the 20 min boat ride! Definitely gonna try to get out again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 62 Posts