Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Wondering if you guys would know the ideal time it would be at its highest this year? I’d be fishing from shore around Lockport and EOM areas.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Hey folks,

Wondering if you guys would know the ideal time it would be at its highest this year? I’d be fishing from shore around Lockport and EOM areas.

All depends on water temp and current flow.......with this year being what it was so far.........................going to be much different than history.......no telling what is in store!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It is good that we are finally getting some rains. The recent rains and flow from the US weren't as extreme as was predicted so, at this point of time, it appears that flows through the dams shouldn't muddy up the waters too much, or for too long. Good flow and decent clarity, not that they often work together, should hopefully make for a good run on the river this year, but a lot can still happen in the next month or two. Timing wise, the peak, and even the start of the run, seems to be getting later and later in recent years, well into October.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow that is later than I thought, but I'm sure it is always changing like you said with all the weather discrepancies. Hopefully I will hit them at the right time!

·
Registered
28 Posts
A friend pulled in a few last week while fishing he said for goldeye. Most of the Walleye caught on the Keystobe Classic were caught in the creeks from what I have heard.
Mooneye in spawn caught numerous along with saugers and two 20 in greens action was fun !need more north wind by far

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yesterday between 10:30 - 2:00pm, I tried a few places between Selkirk Park and the cut. No walleyes for me, however 6 sauger, 2 pike and a 15" bullhead. Very light sauger bite, missed many bites and lost a few at the boat. Caught most of the sauger with a jig, all on the drop, as well as a couple while trolling.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If anyone has kids and just wants to catch fish, then go crank the Miracle Mile. It is just ridiculous how infested it is with Saugers! I spent some time there a couple days ago and caught 250 of the little darlings.
Love the mile unreal how many different fish are caught, love the solitude in the area also ! Two tubes later and lost count lol

·
Administrator
1,474 Posts
Tried jigging yesterday, got nothing except sauger and bullhead. It was really slow for me.

Then we decided to troll crankbaits. I managed to catch 2 walleyes and lost one right before the net. Got some saugers and a drum as well.

I'm no expert on the Red but I find that trolling is a pretty good way to catch walleyes when the bite is tough. They must be very scattered right now. Water temp is like 57 so the peak of the run is yet to come.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The Red has mostly been slow with only a few, scattered local fish being caught and very few big ones. North winds are starting to push in at least some fish off the lake, but it is still very sporadic and short lived. Fish density and catch rates are still quite low. Water temperatures are still unseasonably warm for this time of year so it could be a while yet. As has been the new normal over the last few years, I wouldn't expect the Walleye run on the river to really get going good until mid October. The lake bite though, is very strong, at least along several locations on the West side. Although it may take a little time and effort to find them, it would appear that a strong, healthy run of greenbacks are slowly migrating their way down from the North basin but they seem to be taking their time.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Was on Red yesterday with an old friend hit Docs at 7:15 and there were Gold eyes jumping everywhere and big splash’s, appeared gold eye were getting worked over by cats. 15 feet of water Caught several gold eyes, several Sauger couple of small walleyes and a huge cat on my brand new St Croix Legend Tourney. Let the drag out so it did not snap my rod and let it run around for awhile. Left there at 9:30 hit the cut much windier there, set up off to the side a bit 16 feet of water caught three wallys all tiny but bright green we know and love to see. Made our way back to dock around 1. North East wind for a change, Water was 59 F where we were. Need some cooler nights and more consistent North wind to get some big girls in the river. Took week after Thanksgiving off gonna fish hard that week. So nothing exciting to report but better then yard work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Was on Red yesterday with an old friend hit Docs at 7:15 and there were Gold eyes jumping everywhere and big splash’s, appeared gold eye were getting worked over by cats. 15 feet of water Caught several gold eyes, several Sauger couple of small walleyes and a huge cat on my brand new St Croix Legend Tourney. Let the drag out so it did not snap my rod and let it run around for awhile. Left there at 9:30 hit the cut much windier there, set up off to the side a bit 16 feet of water caught three wallys all tiny but bright green we know and love to see. Made our way back to dock around 1. North East wind for a change, Water was 59 F where we were. Need some cooler nights and more consistent North wind to get some big girls in the river. Took week after Thanksgiving off gonna fish hard that week. So nothing exciting to report but better then yard work.
Ty for info hopefully it gets me lucky enough for the kicker derby ! Mooneye for the win u have a great week off

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for all the info, everyone. I am not able to get out fishing near as much as I would like since I have young kids, so I tend to do a ton of research before each planned trip to maximize results! At what water temperatures are they typically moving into the river?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Fished the Cut for a few hours on the 30th and didn’t find any walleye. Talked to a few others and heard of one or two here or there, but mostly sauger and bullheads.

My son and I had a ton of fun on those, though. Managed five eater sauger among many smaller ones, and the biggest bullheads I’ve ever seen: a dozen 14”+, with eight over 15”. A goldeye and drum to top it off.

Probably a couple of weeks yet.

Does anyone know when draw down is scheduled for?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts