Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Friends Uncle has a cabin on Falcon Lake, We were going up to visit and thinking about bringing along our ice fishing gear. Does anyone ice fish this lake for walleye. I found a lot of information for open water, but the only ice fishing I seem to be able to find information on is the Ice Derby for Pike. If anyone has any info about ice fishing for walleye on this lake it would be most appreciated.Also if anyone knows the ice/snow conditions in the area that would be great.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have never fished it in the winter but I have in the summer. It can be a challenging lake to fish, there is lots of structure on the south shore that can hold Walleye and if you have a map (AEM) of the lake would help to put you in the right direction. with that being said there are also other lakes in the area that also can be fished (and I am not talking stocked trout lakes either) that can be fun too. I was out in the area last weekend and it was all good.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Caddy Lake I find easier to ice fish than Falcon. There are also black crappie at caddy as well as walleye. It’s a smaller lake and you can access it through caddy lake resort boat launch.

Get the depth chart for it online. Crappies are closer to the south west side along drop offs to 30fow and walleyes well you can get em anywhere there’s structure and drop offs in anywhere from 8fow to 18fow.

If you’re set on falcon due to the cabin I’d hit spots close to shore, just find structure and be around 8-18fow. Are you using any sort of electronics?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information Everyone. AnglersAnonymous, We will only have 3 days to fish, so if we can't figure anything out on the first day we might try exploring some other lakes to the north. We all have Vexilars, and i have the Navionics lake map, Not sure how accurate it is, but should hopefully help us narrow down some areas. From the map, it looks like the lake drops off pretty quickly. The areas around the Island in the south look like they have some good structure. Not sure where they will be congregating at the end of March though.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I wasn't trying to be secretive. Draw a line 50KM in any direction from Falcon and go fish. In my head everybody mentions stocked trout lakes, and that was why I made the statement I made. I have fished most lakes within that area and had good luck. So instead of naming them all I thought google is your friend and have him pick his poison.

Depending on where the cabin is LOTWs is within 30 minutes just to point out one lake and considering Navionics is the app or card being used.

And My recommendation if really wanting to fish Falcon would fish the south shore from the causeway to the ski hill there is lots of structure. Start with points and entrance to little bays and go from there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate the info Lovetofish, Nothing wrong with your post. I was asking questions about Falcon, because it seemed odd not to be able to find a picture or one piece of information for fishing walleye through the ice. Wasn't sure if maybe the ice was unsafe there. It sounds like there are easier lakes to fish in the area, so if we don't figure something out on day 1, we will probably set our sites on a few others in the area.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Also, how is the snow on the ice, We are planning on bringing Snowmobiles, but it would be awesome if we can drive trucks around, if there is an access somewhere.

I was across Falcon last weekend. There were two trucks halfway between main beach and causeway. May have got on at south shore boat launch. Snow dropped a lot so sleds anywhere. Did not have issue when we ventured off sno mo trail.

Winter rig: 2016 Bearcat 2000XT, Eskimo QuickFish 3i, Eskimo F1 Rocket 10”, Humminbird Helix 5 w/Iceducer.

Reactions: lipriper84

·
Registered
924 Posts
is there any good access away from peoples cottages

Only access I know of is on the Snoman snowmobile trail or at the boat launch if it’s even plowed that far!

Winter rig: 2016 Bearcat 2000XT, Eskimo QuickFish 3i, Eskimo F1 Rocket 10”, Humminbird Helix 5 w/Iceducer.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I like to go the week after the big derby because there's easy drive on access and I get to try to catch those cash prize tagged fish that they release at the derby. Contest goes all year and you're registered with a derby ticket purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you like to use live bait, Salted minnows, or just plain spoons work? I was told the Shell station in Falcon Lake has bait, but wondering if there are other bait shops in the area? We have to go to Winnipeg first, so we might get bait their before we shoot over to Falcon Lake. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Also: Page 9 in Guide

Eastern Manitoba - Special Walleye Regulation For Area “A”
All walleye between 45 cm and 70 cm must be released in the area south of the Gammon-Bloodvein rivers to the south and west shores of the Winnipeg River, including the Manigotagan River upstream of highway 304, Lac du Bonnet, and the southern boundary of Whiteshell Provincial Park and from Lake Winnipeg to the Ontario border (excluding the Winnipeg River from the Pine Falls Dam to Lake Winnipeg). ♦ Special Walleye Regulation Applies

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.